Nikki Preston is a Herald reporter based in Hamilton.

Police warning after Tinder user extorted

Be extremely cautious if you are contacted for money using social media applications. Photo / Michael Cunningham
Be extremely cautious if you are contacted for money using social media applications. Photo / Michael Cunningham

A man who met a woman on Tinder was taken to an ATM by her and two gang members and forced him to handover money.

It's the second act of violence revealed within a week involving the dating app and police are warning users searching for love to beware of scams.

In this case, a woman contacted a man via the app asking for money.

He gave it to her but was then visited by her and the two gang members and escorted to an ATM.

The woman then text the victim again saying she and the two gang members would be back the next day to get more money.

The man contacted police who arrested the three people involved. They face a number of charges in relation to the incident.

Detective senior sergeant Martin Todd said people needed to be extremely cautious when they were contacted for money using social media applications.

"Fortunately in this case, the people involved were able to be identified and arrested, however there are often times when this is not the case."

"This is a type of scam which is a significant evolution to those such as spam emails which ask for a deposit in order for you to access a greater sum of money."

"Our advice is never to send any money to someone from a social media or dating site that you don't know very well or haven't met in person."

Anyone who does fall victim to a scam through social media or dating sites is urged to lodge a report on the ORB website or contact police.

However police warned there could be very little they could do especially if the money has been sent overseas.

Last week, a teenage boy and girl appeared in court, accused of stabbing a 28-year-old man in the chest after meeting him on Tinder. He is beleived to have collected the girl from an address in Massey and was later seen collapsed in the middle of a roundabout at the corner of Triangle Rd and Huruhuru Rd, clutching his chest.

It is understood he suffered a collapsed lung.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 29 May 2017 03:48:47 Processing Time: 449ms