Deported West Indies cricket star Franklyn Rose was the subject of a rape complaint being investigated by New Zealand police.
The batsman and right-arm bowler, who played 19 test matches, denies the allegation.
The Herald has learned that a woman laid a complaint in January, the day after the alleged incident.
It is understood charges were not laid before Rose was deported last month. The Auckland District Court has confirmed Rose is not facing any active charges.
Police would not comment on the allegation when approached by the Herald initially, citing privacy reasons.
"In general police do not respond to requests which seek to establish whether or not specific individuals are or have been the subject of an investigation," said spokeswoman Beth Bates.
"We are not able to therefore confirm or deny the information you seek."
Today, after Rose confirmed the investigation, Detective Senior Sergeant Richard Corbidge from the adult sexual assault team spoke out.
"Based on the fact that Mr Rose has himself placed this information in a public domain, police can now confirm that Mr Rose was the subject of a Police investigation earlier this year, in relation to sexual assault," he said.
"No charges were filed however officers from the police last week assisted with Mr Rose's deportation back to Jamaica."
Mr Corbidge said the complaint with dealt with "thoroughly", however he could not give any further details about the investigation.
A source close to the alleged victim said she was told about Rose's visa issue and decided to drop the complaint to enable authorities to deport him faster. Police were prepared to pursue her complaint but left the decision with her.
"Matters of this nature are highly sensitive and anyone who comes to police with a report of this nature can expect their case to be dealt with thoroughly and with discretion," said Mr Corbidge.
"Because of this we will not be drawn further on any other factors, including the circumstances."
Rose spoke to the Herald via Facebook Messenger last week. When asked about the police investigation and rape allegation he said: "Am sure the cops recorded my interview when I was there."
Rose would not comment further, saying he was going to see his lawyer in Jamaica.
"The only thing I have to say now is that my side of the story will dampen the reputation of the New Zealand government/cricket," he added.
In a subsequent interview with the West Indies Players' Association, reported by the Jamaica Observer, Rose said he wanted to let people know what "really happened".
"I am disappointed in the New Zealand immigration system. I am very disappointed," he said.
"I want people to understand my side of the story, to set the record straight."
He confirmed police had come to his house earlier this year and "dragged him out" at 6am to the police station.
They said he was under investigation for a "rape incident" he told the association. He denied the allegation but did not share any specifics.
"I was so confused. I know that it was a lie and they treated me like I was nothing. They threw me in prison for 10 days, among murderers, rapists and other convicts. It was crazy; I know I didn't belong there," said Rose.
"I couldn't get to use the shower. I couldn't brush my teeth for 10 days, and I didn't even get my medication until after eight days of being locked up. I could have died in that cell. I was so depressed."
Rose said his lawyer was "pursuing the matter".
Rose was deported from New Zealand on April 13.
He had been granted a work visa after being offered a coaching position at the University of Auckland's Cricket Club but had not had a valid visa since 2012.
He unsuccessfully appealed to have the deportation order suspended on "humanitarian circumstances".
Herald investigations also revealed that Rose was convicted of assaulting a woman in Jamaica in 2002.
He pleaded guilty to hitting a Canadian woman in the face outside a nightclub in Ocho Rios in November that year.Given his history the Herald asked Immigration New Zealand and Associate Immigration Minister Craig Foss about why the cricketer was granted a New Zealand visa.
The law states that "people with criminal convictions or who have provided false or misleading information will not be granted a visa unless a character waiver is granted".
Neither INZ or Mr Foss would comment on Rose's visa and entry to New Zealand.
"The minister is unable to provide specific information about Mr Rose's case - both entry into NZ and deportation - without a privacy waiver," said a spokeswoman for Mr Foss.
She referred the Herald to general information published on INZ's website.
Rose also claimed police here failed to investigate an assault on him in 2012 due to his race.
He reported that he had been assaulted by a group of men in Takapuna as he made his way home from a night out. At the time police confirmed they were investigating.
In his interview with the players' association Rose said: "I reported the incident to the police, but because of the colour of my skin they thought I was in a gang or something."
He accused police of not treating the matter "justly".
"It was not properly investigated," he said.
Mr Corbidge told the Herald today that police "strongly refute" Rose's accusation.
"A full and thorough investigation was carried out into Mr Rose's reported assault," he said.
"Enquiries included statements that were taken from several witnesses. Mr Rose's version of events was not able to be corroborated and as such, no arrests were made and no charges were filed."