Vaimoana Tapaleao is the New Zealand Herald's Pacific Affairs and People reporter.

Fireworks may have caused Paritutu blaze

Fire crews were called to Paritutu Rock at about 9.30pm yesterday. Photo / Facebook, The Bus
Fire crews were called to Paritutu Rock at about 9.30pm yesterday. Photo / Facebook, The Bus

A large fire in New Plymouth is thought to have been started by fireworks.

Fire crews were called to Paritutu Rock at about 9.30pm yesterday where there were reports of a large blaze.

No one is thought to have been on the summit, but a spokesman for the Fire Service central communications centre said fireworks were suspected to be the cause.

Shift manager Murray Dunbar said as crews arrived at the scene, it began to rain. By about 11.30pm, it started to rain heavily in the area.

"It looks like the fire could extinguish itself," Mr Dunbar said.

Fire crews have since left the scene.

However, members of the Taranaki Fire Authority would remain overnight to monitor the blaze and assess whether or not crews would need to head up to the site in the morning.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 28 Feb 2017 17:50:50 Processing Time: 398ms