Ranui shooting: Feud may have sparked violence

Police at the scene of the Luanda Drive shooting in Ranui where one man was killed and another critically injured. Photo / Getty Images
Police at the scene of the Luanda Drive shooting in Ranui where one man was killed and another critically injured. Photo / Getty Images

A double shooting which left one man dead and one critically injured may have been the result of a neighbourhood feud, police say.

Joshua Wayne Roach, 23, was killed on Luanda Drive, Ranui, around 11am yesterday.

Two men - a father and son Allen George Lum, 41, and Trae Lorenz Lum, 18 - appeared in court today on charges connected to the shooting.

Mr Roach lived in the house next to where his body was found, police said today.

Investigations have continued at the scene today, with police going door-to-door in the neighbourhood and forensic examinations on-going.

"The wider investigation is looking into the background and the associates of the people believed to be connected to this incident, however the information we have at this stage is that it appears to be the result of a dispute between neighbours," Detective Inspector Bruce Scott of the Waitemata police, said.

Allen Lum was charged with illegally possessing a rifle. Trae Lum was charged with illegally carrying a rifle. Both are listed on court documents as living at the same Ranui address.

They appeared separately. Allen appeared before a community magistrate and was remanded in custody until a bail application hearing next week.

Trae later appeared before Judge John Bergseng wearing a police-issue white boiler suit.

Emergency services at an address in Luanda Rd, Ranui. Photo / Brett Phibbs

Police prosecutor Sergeant Gavin English said police had serious issues with allowing bail as they had yet to finish assessing the scene.

However, Trae's lawyer Murray Gibson said bail should be granted so his client could visit his wounded brother in hospital.

Judge Bergseng allowed bail with a number of conditions imposed. Trae is also due to reappear in court next week.

The public gallery at Waitakere District Court was filled to standing level with supporters.

Watch: Gang links investigated


The shooting also left an unnamed 20-year-old man in a critical condition.

He underwent surgery yesterday at Auckland Hospital and his condition this morning was listed as stable.

Police have erected a cordon on Triangle Road in Massey. Photo / Elizabeth Binning

After the shooting, two people drove the injured man to hospital.

Their bloodstained car was later pulled over by police in Triangle Rd and seized for forensic examination.

Police believed more than one person fired shots. Mr Scott confirmed a firearm had been found at the scene.

Police are still interested in hearing from anyone who may have witnessed yesterday's events or people who may have information on the background to the incident.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Henderson Police on 09 839 0600, or anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 24 May 2017 13:09:32 Processing Time: 436ms