Tomorrow will see the start of the "most summer-like'' week this year has seen, forecasters predict.
The stormy and unsettled weather which has characterised the summer so far looks set to end tonight, for the time-being anyway.
It'll be good news for revellers making their way to Auckland's Laneway festival, after today's rain and thunderstorms looked set to threaten a washout.
The city is set to see a fine day, with some southwesterly winds, and a high of 21C.
The band of rain and isolated thunderstorms which moved across the country today were set to clear overnight and leave behind a fine day for most areas, MetService said.
Any further "patchy weather'' was expected to settle down by tomorrow and sunshine was due to return by mid-week, said MetService meteorologist Leigh Matheson.
WeatherWatch analyst Philip Duncan said the week ahead was shaping up to be the "most summer-like'' this season had seen.
"Most regions at this stage (will have) five days of dry weather,'' he said.
"There's no fronts, there's no lows, just a nice big high moving in, finally.''
However, he said unsettled weather in the tropics, with a number of storms forming over New Caledonia, Fiji and Queensland, could disrupt the summery feel.
"It's just a matter of time before we get one of those lows again in the north.''
This evening's bad weather in Auckland was affecting domestic flights, with several arrivals and departures cancelled or delayed.
For more information go to www.aucklandairport.co.nz/FlightInformation/ArrivalsAndDepartures.aspx
Main centre forecasts for the next two days:
* Auckland: a fine day tomorrow with southwesterly winds and a high of 21C. The winds will ease by Tuesday;
* Hamilton: fine with southwesterlies tomorrow, a high of 24C. Winds dying out by Tuesday;
* Wellington: possibility of a morning shower tomorrow with fresh southerlies and a temperature of 16C. Tuesday would be fine with the southerlies dying out.
* Christchurch: the risk of showers around Banks Peninsula, but fine in the city tomorrow with a high of 20C. Fine on Tuesday with northeasterlies developing.
* Dunedin: fine tomorrow with southwesterlies and a temperature of 16C. Fine with light winds on Tuesday.