Homicide victim last seen two days before body was found

File photo / NZ Herald
File photo / NZ Herald

A woman who was killed in a brutal attack at her Wellington home was last seen dropping her children off at school two days before her body was found.

Police today revealed the results of a post-mortem examination on 37-year-old Rongmei Fan, known as Mei, whose body was found by a friend in her Miramar house on Sunday afternoon.

Detective Senior Sergeant John van den Heuvel said she had suffered multiple injuries consistent with a violent attack.

"It is clear that this was a brutal and vicious attack that has taken the life of a young mother.''

Ms Fan was killed sometime after she was last seen on Friday, November 8.

Police said the mother-of-two had dropped her children off at Miramar Central School and was seen speaking with a teacher.

It was believed she took a short route from her Brussels St property to the school, along Park Rd, between 8.30 and 9am.

Police are appealing for anyone who saw Ms Fan or her red Honda hatchback, registration GSL128, after then.

She has been described as short with a slim build. Police said it is likely she was wearing a hooded crimson top with white stripes on the shoulders and plain black track pants.

Police would also like to hear from anyone who saw anything out of place or suspicious in the local area on that Friday morning.

"If you saw Mei at anytime on Friday we need to hear from you. Whoever has done this has taken away the mum of two little children which, anyway you look at it, is a heartless act,'' Mr van den Heuvel said.

"It could be the one small thing that you have noticed that could make all the difference to holding the person responsible for this to justice.

"We are continuing to speak to a number of people and are making great progress piecing together Mei's final movements.

"I can reassure the community that there is nothing to indicate that this is anything but a one-off attack resulting in the needless loss of a young mother's life.''

A 58-year-old Strathmore Park man, who knew Ms Fan, has been arrested for breaching a protection order against her.

He appeared in the Wellington District Court this week and was released on bail. The man was granted interim name suppression until his next court appearance next month.

A court charge sheet said the man had allegedly sent the woman correspondence sometime between Thursday and Sunday.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 25 May 2017 22:51:08 Processing Time: 788ms