'Lovely girl' dies from allergic reaction to bee sting

File photo / NZ Herald
File photo / NZ Herald

A teenage girl stung by a bee has died from an allergic reaction.

Eva Wilson, 14, is believed to have accidentally stood on the bee on the deck of her family's home at Takaka, Golden Bay on Friday afternoon.

Family friend Peter Blasdale said Eva's allergy to bees was known.

She had "life-threatening injuries" when she was flown by the Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter to Wellington Hospital about 6.10pm on Friday.

Mr Blasdale said she died on Saturday evening at the hospital.

Her family was still coming to terms with Eva's death and had asked for privacy, Mr Blasdale said.

"She was a lovely girl, just a really happy, lovely girl," he said.

The rescue helicopter said Eva was treated at the scene by a doctor and St John Ambulance.

An onboard intensive care paramedic treated Eva before she arrived at the hospital for specialist emergency medical attention.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 26 Oct 2014 16:46:07 Processing Time: 262ms