Van catches fire at motor camp

A van is ablaze at Pikowai Campground in Matata. Photo / Glenys Hennessey
A van is ablaze at Pikowai Campground in Matata. Photo / Glenys Hennessey

A man suffered minor burns to his head and neck after his van caught fire at a popular east coast holiday spot yesterday.

The van was well ablaze by the time firefighters arrived at the Pikowai Campground at Matata, near Whakatane. A Fire Service spokeswoman said it was unclear how the fire started, but it was extinguished with a high-pressure hose.

She said the driver was all right and the fire did not spread to any other vehicles or buildings.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 05 May 2016 15:25:16 Processing Time: 436ms