Search for missing soldier to resume on weekend

Private Michael Victor Ross. Photo / NZDF
Private Michael Victor Ross. Photo / NZDF

The search for missing soldier Michael Ross on Lake Moawhango will continue over the weekend, with police, the Navy and Coastguard all taking part.

Private Ross fell overboard from an inflatable boat while on a training exercise on the lake near Waiouru on Tuesday evening.

The Navy dive squad today used sonar equipment in their search of the lake but without success, Inspector Steve Mastrovich said.

The Wanganui Coastguard also provided a boat, which was out on the water today, searching in the cold and rainy conditions.

"We will continue searching over the weekend until we locate Private Ross and are able to return him to his family and loved ones,'' Mr Mastrovich said.

Private Ross, from Kaitaia, was a rifleman based at Linton who enlisted in the army in 2009.

The Defence Force said he was an experienced soldier who served in Timor Leste last year.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 07 Oct 2015 15:48:45 Processing Time: 498ms