Shonky gasfitters fined

A gas fitter connected a new gas stove to an Upper Hutt home's gas supply last June when he was not registered or authorised by the board to carry out such work. File photo / NZ Herald
A gas fitter connected a new gas stove to an Upper Hutt home's gas supply last June when he was not registered or authorised by the board to carry out such work. File photo / NZ Herald

Homeowners are being warned of the importance of qualified tradesmen carrying out gasfitting work after two Upper Hutt men were fined for shonky work.

Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board deputy registrar Kern U'ren said in one case, David Forbes connected a new gas stove to an Upper Hutt home's gas supply last June when he was not registered or authorised by the board to carry out such work.

"The work carried out by Mr Forbes was defective and the installation had the potential to cause a gas leak, which could have led to an explosion when the stove was turned on by the homeowner," Mr U'ren said.

"The homeowner was concerned with the quality of work and asked Mr Forbes to leave the property before lodging a complaint with the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board."

Forbes pleaded guilty when he appeared in Lower Hutt District Court and was fined $1800.

Chris Robinson also appeared in Lower Hutt District Court and was fined $4000 after installing a gas water heater and carrying out gas pipe work in Lower Hutt when he was not registered or authorised to carry out gasfitting work.

The size of the gas pipes he installed were inadequate to supply the gas water heater with sufficient gas to operate properly, and the homeowner was left without hot water.

"The risks posed by having gasfitting work carried out by a person who is not registered or authorised by the board, such as Mr Forbes, are significant, especially when dealing with the connection of gas pipes to gas appliances," Mr U'ren said.

"Defective work could result in a gas leak, which then has the potential to cause an explosion if an appliance is switched on. An explosion could result in property damage, injury, or in the worst case, loss of life."

People should ask tradespeople for their authorisation card before any work was carried out so they could be assured the work was being done by an authorised and competent tradesperson, he said.

Anyone with concerns about work done could make a complaint to the board.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a4 at 23 Aug 2014 03:32:48 Processing Time: 496ms