Colour blocking is trickling its way into spring/summer collections and, while winter focused on mixing block pastels and brilliant hues with subdued tones, now its about embracing brights with gusto. After all, who said minimalism was restricted to neutrals?
While many of us err towards muted tones and - of course - black, diving head first into colour needn't be a major ordeal. The selection of block brights coming on the scene now are more tasteful, the prefect segue into high summer's selection of saturated brights.
For his spring 2014 collection, Ralph Lauren sent out an eye-catching array of shift dresses and gowns in primary block brights, accessorised with matching top-handle handbags and slingback heels. That focus on primary block colours and simple shapes has resonated closer to home, such as Workshop's effortless linen shift dress in a jaunty blue (#6) or a streamlined pencil skirt from Caroline Sills (#1).
For the perfect transition into colour, a classic silk shirt is a good starting point. Look to tried and true brands such as Equipment, known for pioneering the idea of the silk shirt as a wardrobe staple and available locally at boutiques such as Muse and Adorno.
The selection of rainbow bright shirts on offer will have you feeling like a kid in a candy store.
Gallery: Check out our favourite looks:
Liann Bellis top, $160. Caroline Sills skirt, $204. Versace sunglasses, $600, from Sunglass Hut. Witchery heels, $219.90.
2. Gorman coat, $459. Maurie and Eve skirt, $209. Stolen Girlfriends Club flatform shoes, $379. Benah for Karen Walker purse, $330.
3. Julian Danger dress, $290. Stella McCartney loafers, $690, from Runway.
4. Ruby jumper, $269. Trelise Cooper pants, $299. DVF heels, $550, from Runway. Versus watch, $559, from Walker & Hall.
5. Equipment shirt, $395, from Muse. Liam blazer, $299, pants, $289, and belt, $80. Mimco clutch, $199. Overland heels, $209.90.
6. Equipment shirt, $395, from Muse. Workshop dress, $298. Lovesick flats, $149.
• Caroline Sills
• Gorman (09) 529 2279
• Julian Danger
• Liann Bellis
• Karen Walker
• Maurie & Eve (09) 378 0072
• Muse (09) 520 2911
• Runway (09) 522 0808
• Stolen Girlfriends Club
• Sunglass Hut 0800 607 895
• Trelise Cooper
• Walker & Hall
• Witchery (09) 523 1335
Stylist: Dan Ahwa
Photographer: Greg Bowker
Hair and makeup: Katie Melody-Rogers using M.A.C Cosmetics
Model: Raina Masters from Clyne
Stylist's assistant: Bunifa Punta Mita