Been out the night before? Had too much of a good thing? Got head thumping like a set of war drums?
This might be the ticket for getting you back on track: Spanish Tortilla:
The beauty of this dish is it requires minimal thought so its suited to post partying thought processing.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 mins max
Serves 4-6 or 2 greedy people
- 12 eggs
- 1 tblsp. fresh thyme leaves
- ½ red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 large Desiree potato - peeled and finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Small knob of butter
- Paprika, salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in the pan and add the onion, potato and bay lea.
- Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes until the potato is soft. Tip don't let the potato or onion brown.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the potato, onion and garlic to the eggs and give it a quick stir. Discard the bay leaf.
- Heat the pan up and add the butter. Once it has melted pour the egg, potato and onion mix into the pan.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on a medium heat, using a wooden spoon draw the uncooked egg mix towards the centre of the tortilla. Round the edges of the tortilla with a spoon.
- Once the majority of the egg has cooked and no longer runny (don't let it burn), you are ready to turn it over.
- The best way is to loosen the edges with a palette knife.
- Then place a pan lid (large enough to cover the tortilla) on top. Holding the lid like a plate turn the pan upside down. You should now have the tortilla on the lid with the bottom of the tortilla facing up. Slide it back into the pan (so the side that was previously on the bottom is now facing up) and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Let it stand for a few minutes to cool or pop in the fridge for later. Celeb chef Frank Camorra recommends tightly wrapping the tortilla in plastic food wrap for 20 minutes once cooked though I haven't personally tried this, yet.
- If you don't feel confident enough to flip the tortilla and have a heat proof pan handle pop it under the grill to cook the top.
Sprinkle a little paprika over the top (paprika goes surprisingly well with egg). Serve.
What's your tried and tested hangover cure?
More delicious recipes: http://www.humblecrumble.com