Morgan Tait is the NZ Herald's police reporter.

Teen attack put online

Add a comment
A video of the vicious group attack was posted on Facebook.
A video of the vicious group attack was posted on Facebook.

A video has been posted to Facebook showing what appears to be a vicious group attack by teenage boys on another boy at a popular New Zealand holiday spot.

The video, reportedly filmed in Whangamata and posted online on Saturday afternoon, shows three boys attacking the victim, who also appears to be a teenager.

A family member of the victim said he had just turned 18 years old and may have to have jaw surgery following the attack. He said the fight occurred last week and the victim was treated at the local medical centre.

A police spokesman said police were aware of the fight and investigating. "A complaint was made to us. Three youths are helping us with our inquiries," he said.

Children aged between 14 and 16 years old are classified as youths under the New Zealand justice system.

NZME has chosen not to publish the video due to the graphic nature which starts by showing one teen holding the victim while another punches him, knocking him to ground.

While he is on the ground, a third teen kicks him in the head.

The victim is then picked up by his by his clothes and dragged a short distance before being thrown onto the ground. He is seen cowering as the other teens approach him..

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 23 May 2017 13:40:56 Processing Time: 399ms