The Wanganui boys have bounced back to winning form at the national Hatch Cup under-13 hockey tournament in Auckland, while the girls remain unbeaten at the regional Rawleighs competition in Napier.

After two losses in their opening two games the Wanganui boys needed a win to put their campaign back on track and on Tuesday they duly beat Horowhenua 3-nil.

Manager Cindy Hoskin said although having played and won against Horowhenua throughout the season Wanganui always knew this game would be tight and hard fought.

"Half an hour before the game our goalie became unwell and after some quick thinking Angus Costello stepped up to take the role," Hoskin said.


"Having been a cricket wicket keeper it seemed the obvious choice and it paid dividends with a couple of great penalty corner saves at critical times during the game."

Carter Hobbs scored after seven minutes from a penalty corner. Then Malachi Lee scored 13 minutes later after Ben Skedgwell made a run down the sideline sweeping the ball to Lee to finish off.

Going into halftime 2-0 up the boys knew the fight was just beginning.

Leading from the middle, captain Blake Hoskin, along with team mate Hobbs, worked tirelessly on both attack and defence until Matthew Hocquard secured the ball down the left side and whacking it down field to Tre Joseph who took off to the goal in a one-on-one situation.

"Tre headed to the goal with pace and scored a beauty forehand shot into the right hand top corner of the goal securing our third goal in the 32nd minute," Hoskin said.

"The back three of Ratunui Latus, Hunter Gibson and Cole Julian worked hard on defence throughout the game making it hard for Horowhenua to attack."

Captain Hoskin was please with the outcome.

"We worked together as a team, with every player doing their job," he said.

On Wednesday evening the team was to take on Canterbury who won the Hatch Cup last year. Although a big mountain to climb, Hoskin said his team was up for the challenge

"Who wouldn't want to play the best in the country, we have skills and you never know, it's all on the day and how the ball bounces, we just need to capitalise on our opportunities."

Player of the Horowhenua game was awarded to Angus Costello, a young player to watch in the future.

Meanwhile, the girls remained unbeaten accounting for Wairarapa 1-0 late on Tuesday and then Rangitikei 3-2 on Wednesday morning.

Maggie Jones scored the only goal against Wairarapa, while Charlotte Hardy, Rhiannon Clutterbuck and captain Charlotte Baker scored against Rangitikei.

Coach Aaron Manville said the Rangitikei match was a hard encounter and left both sides clearly in the top six.

"We are in the top three of our pool with Wellington and Hawkes Bay with Rangitikei sitting in fourth," Manville said.

"There is no actual final in this competition and we all take our points accumulated so far into the next round."

The Wanganui girls were to play a crucial match with Hawkes Bay late Wednesday, while Rangitikei were to play Wellington.

Rangitikei manager Phillipa Managh said her team had posted two wins, a draw and tow losses up until yesterday morning.

"We only put a team together a few weeks before this competition, so they haven't really had much time to gel, but they are a great bunch and doing quite well. It was frustrating against Wanganui and a real intense encounter, We just couldn't put the ball in the net despite having our chances," Managh said.