Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News / Sport

Olympics 2024: All Blacks Sevens’ campaign ended by South Africa in quarter-finals

Kris Shannon
Kris Shannon
Multimedia Journalist·NZ Herald·
25 Jul, 2024 10:38 PM3 mins to read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
New Zealand's medal hopes disappeared at Stade de France. Photo / Photosport

New Zealand's medal hopes disappeared at Stade de France. Photo / Photosport

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

By Kris Shannon in Paris

In the span of 14 minutes, the All Blacks Sevens saw their Olympic dream shattered before the Games even began.

In the span of 14 seconds, veteran Andrew Knewstubb captured the collective pain the side were suffering in that nightmare scenario.

New Zealand were eliminated from the men’s tournament by South Africa at Stade de France on Thursday night, a crushing result for a group who had hoped to improve on the silver medal won in 2021.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Instead, with the opening ceremony still a day away, the quarter-final defeat wrecked that occasion, the team’s shot at gold and two years of gruelling rehabilitation for Knewstubb.

The veteran battled through consecutive ACL tears in the same knee just to reach Paris, where earlier on Thursday he scored a last-minute try to edge Ireland and avoid a quarter-final clash with defending champions Fiji.

South Africa had seemed the preferred opponent given New Zealand were 17-5 victors when the teams met the previous day in pool play. While the Kiwi side came into the tournament with triumphs in the last two legs of the World Sevens Series, their foes had failed to record a top-three finish in any of the previous seven events.

Yet that pedigree counted for nothing as New Zealand fell behind 14-0 and, after pulling back a try, found themselves unable to convert numerous chances to level the scores late in the second half.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

That frustration was manifest on Knewstubb’s face moments after the final whistle. Asked to assess where it had all gone wrong, the Tokyo medallist could barely muster a word, his long silence saying it all.

Finally, voice quiet and the emotions of the match impossible to suppress, he said: “We lost. It wasn’t good enough. We had our chances but it wasn’t good enough.”

That succinct summation was echoed by captain Dylan Collier, confronted by the reality of his campaign ending before the Olympic torch had been lit.

“It’s gonna hurt for a little bit,” Collier said. “We just couldn’t execute when it counted.

Discover more

Olympics

NZ Olympic team finalised for Paris

16 Jul 07:03 PM
Brady Rush looks dejected following defeat in the men's Rugby Sevens quarter-finals to South Africa. Photo / Getty Images
Brady Rush looks dejected following defeat in the men's Rugby Sevens quarter-finals to South Africa. Photo / Getty Images

“We were getting ourselves near the line and we just couldn’t quite get over there. I’m just extremely disappointed, especially after the way we started the tournament. I thought we played pretty well up until that point.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

New Zealand had advanced with three wins from pool play, though South Africa proved stubborn opposition. Their superior pace was especially telling on defence during the quarter-final, running down a number of threats that could have led to tries.

Collier conceded that his team became “a little bit individual” when attempting to erase the deficit in the waning minutes, allowing South Africa to inflict another dose of pain following last year’s Rugby World Cup final at the same venue.

Unlike the All Blacks, allowed to privately nurse their wounds, the sevens side will be back on the field in classification matches on Saturday. Such an ask seems almost cruel but Collier will be demanding his teammates respond to the occasion.

“We’ve got to hurt and we’ve got to take that hurt - it’s not every day you get to play at an Olympic Games,” he said. “We’re lucky we’ve got a day off with the opening ceremony so it gives us a chance to regroup.

“Every chance you get to wear the black jersey you’ve got to make the most of it. You never know when it’s going to be your last.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.


Save
    Share this article

Latest from Sport

Waikato Herald

5x world champ rekindles NZ connection to progress in World Surf League Raglan event

17 May 06:50 AM
Waikato Herald

'Done everything I wanted to': NZ Olympian hints at next step after competing at the top

16 May 07:01 PM
Sport

Battle of the Mooloo: Nyika and Masson to fight for world title shot

15 May 06:00 PM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Sport

5x world champ rekindles NZ connection to progress in World Surf League Raglan event
Waikato Herald

5x world champ rekindles NZ connection to progress in World Surf League Raglan event

Carissa Moore won her first event on the Championship Tour in Taranaki in 2010.

17 May 06:50 AM
'Done everything I wanted to': NZ Olympian hints at next step after competing at the top
Waikato Herald

'Done everything I wanted to': NZ Olympian hints at next step after competing at the top

16 May 07:01 PM
Battle of the Mooloo: Nyika and Masson to fight for world title shot
Sport

Battle of the Mooloo: Nyika and Masson to fight for world title shot

15 May 06:00 PM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP