Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Waikato weather: Ōtorohanga and Waipā districts join forces to combat flood damage

Danielle Zollickhofer
Danielle Zollickhofer
Waikato News Director & Multimedia Journalist·Waikato Herald·
16 Feb, 2026 06:00 AM5 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Floodwaters on Te Kawa Rd, near Ōtorohanga, on Saturday. Photo / Mike Scott

Floodwaters on Te Kawa Rd, near Ōtorohanga, on Saturday. Photo / Mike Scott

Ōtorohanga and Waipā Districts, like other areas in the central and lower North Island, continue to battle the impact of the wild weather.

Ōtorohanga Mayor Rodney Dow told the Waikato Herald there were still a few isolated communities but the district had started “getting stuck into” its clean-up.

“We are usually one of those lucky districts... but this will be talked about for generations,” Dow said.

“Many people are talking about how bad and how fast [the weather] came.

“Some of the older generation [living in the district] say it’s worse than the flood in 1958.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Dow said the weather’s long-term impact was going to be “quite substantial”.

“The roading’s not going to be fixed in five minutes... and there are quite a lot of displaced people.

“I really feel for the people. But it makes me really proud to be the mayor of this district, because everybody is coming together... helping each other out.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Dow said as of last night, 60 properties in his district had been impacted.

“Only a couple are red-stickered, but [there are] quite a lot of yellow-stickered homes.”

Waipā Mayor Mike Pettit said he had been visiting communities and talking to affected residents.

He said teams were “making a little bit of progress” but work was continuing to assess “what infrastructure is left and what isn’t”.

Waipā and Ōtorohanga are working together from a shared emergency operations centre based at Ōtorohanga District Council building.

The centre said the focus of the emergency response in southwest Waikato was reaching isolated communities and properties, assessing and addressing damage, and maintaining safe drinking water supply to Pirongia.

Across Waipā and Ōtorohanga, 120 people have been evacuated, Civil Defence controller Wayne Allan said.

“The focus for the response teams is on Wharepapa South, Kāwhia, Aotea and Corcoran Rd, as well as assisting with clean-up efforts underway in the Ōtorohanga township,” he said in a statement.

Aerial shots of Kio Kio Station Rd, near Ōtorohanga, on Saturday show the extent of the flooding. Photo / Mike Scott
Aerial shots of Kio Kio Station Rd, near Ōtorohanga, on Saturday show the extent of the flooding. Photo / Mike Scott

“We are contacting and visiting properties individually and have support from multiple agencies. Some 120 people have been evacuated and are safe.”

Across both districts, two properties have been red-stickered.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Allan said some parts of the districts had gone back to business as usual.

“This weather event was short, sharp and with intensity which varied significantly across the region,” he said.

“We’re already seeing some areas returning to business as usual, while just a few kilometres away we have communities isolated, roads severed and bridges, pipes and culverts still at risk.”

A helicopter looked at infrastructure, carried out property checks and provided welfare support in Wharepapa South today.

The water supply to Pirongia remained a significant concern and the teams’ primary focus, Allan said.

Flooding demolished the water treatment station on Te Tahi Rd, which usually supplies the area.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

While alternative emergency supply is being piped from Te Awamutu, tankered water remains a contingency, Allan said.

Wastewater networks are not affected.

“The [water] supply is fragile and relies on a single pipe to support an entire community,” he said.

“We have seen an increase in water use in the last 24 hours and we’re monitoring it – we urge the community to keep the savings going.

“Short showers, reduced flushing of toilets, no outside watering – every drop saved buys us time to build some resilience into our network.

“We drained the reservoir to inspect it this morning, and experts are building a picture of what future works may be required... [There’s] no quick fix.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Allan also urged people to respect safety signs.

“We have received reports of people driving through roadblocks, which is not only dangerous for the individuals, it can impact and slow response teams.”

Allan thanked the community for standing together.

“This is also locals helping locals. It’s a joint effort from not just Waipā and Ōtorohanga councils but also neighbouring councils and Civil Defence teams to support our people,” he said.

“We thank the mayors and councillors, our mana whenua partners and our community.

“Many of the people working on this response are doing so while their own homes, friends and family have been impacted.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

While State Highway 31 to Kāwhia from SH39 is set to open from 8pm today, several roads remain closed because of flooding, slips and damage.

New Zealand Transport Agency Waka Kotahi said a full replacement of the Mangati Bridge was necessary.

Installing a single-lane temporary bridge is being considered to span the stream and reconnect locals while a permanent solution is built, NZTA said.

Mangati Bridge has been severely damaged by the flooded Ngakoaohia Stream and a full replacement is needed, NZTA says. Photo / New Zealand Transport Agency Waka Kotahi
Mangati Bridge has been severely damaged by the flooded Ngakoaohia Stream and a full replacement is needed, NZTA says. Photo / New Zealand Transport Agency Waka Kotahi

Corcoran Rd at Te Pahu is closed beyond house No 238 because of a serious risk of road collapse. Access to the end of the road is likely to be several days away.

Whatauri Rd at Wharepapa South is closed beyond the 1.8km mark after a culvert failure.

Wharepapa South Rd and Waikoha Rd are both closed.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

A Civil Defence Centre has been made available at Pirongia Rugby Sports Club, 2 Kane St, for those who need to evacuate.

Waipa District Council have set up a mayoral disaster relief fund.

Civil Defence welfare requests are co-ordinated through Here to Help U.

People can contact 0800 568 273 and leave a callback request.

States of emergency for Waipā and Ōtorohanga districts remain in place but MetService said heavy rain and strong winds were expected to ease in the central North Island this afternoon.

The storm’s death toll stands at one after “loving father” Brent Knowles' vehicle became submerged in floodwaters while travelling on SH39 on Friday.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The deluge comes weeks after deadly storms killed nine and left a trail of destruction.

Danielle Zollickhofer is the Waikato news director and a multimedia journalist at the Waikato Herald. She joined NZME in 2021 and is based in Hamilton.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Live
Waikato Herald

Gusts lash South Island as thousands remain without power in North

16 Feb 07:00 AM
Waikato Herald

Six60 drop surprise set at packed Hamilton Farmers Market

16 Feb 04:00 AM
Waikato Herald

Archie the apprentice finds his farming feet

16 Feb 02:47 AM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Gusts lash South Island as thousands remain without power in North
Live
Waikato Herald

Gusts lash South Island as thousands remain without power in North

Rainfall is intensifying with 250mm predicted over the Banks Peninsula.

16 Feb 07:00 AM
Six60 drop surprise set at packed Hamilton Farmers Market
Waikato Herald

Six60 drop surprise set at packed Hamilton Farmers Market

16 Feb 04:00 AM
Archie the apprentice finds his farming feet
Waikato Herald

Archie the apprentice finds his farming feet

16 Feb 02:47 AM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP