Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Waikato rugby incident: Parents ‘roughed up’ children at U14 match

Jordan Smith - Local Democracy Reporter
Waikato Herald·
14 May, 2026 12:32 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
A violent altercation occurred between parents and youth rugby players in Hamilton last Saturday. Photo / Dominico Zapata

A violent altercation occurred between parents and youth rugby players in Hamilton last Saturday. Photo / Dominico Zapata

Parents punched two children and put another in a headlock at an under 14 school rugby match between two leading Hamilton high schools, a witness says.

The sideline fracas at a St John’s College and Fraser High School match on council-owned fields on Saturday left one player with a black eye and is being probed by police.

It appears to be the catalyst for a generic warning about shoddy sideline behaviour by the Waikato Rugby Union days later, but which came without any specific mention of the scale of the incident, schools involved or the fact that children were injured.

City leaders have previously given their thoughts on violent sideline abuse, with Hamilton City Council deputy mayor Geoff Taylor labelling it as “just ugly.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Team sport is a great thing for our society and for our community... older people just need to butt out and let kids play the game and enjoy the game.”

 The witness said two Fraser High School parents assaulted three St John’s College players. Photo /  Christel Yardley
The witness said two Fraser High School parents assaulted three St John’s College players. Photo / Christel Yardley

“We do feel some responsibility for it as well... we certainly offer our vocal support for anyone who is trying to clamp down on this type of behaviour.”

Both schools did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday, but a St John’s-linked witness to the altercation said tensions between the teams arose after the referee disallowed a try.

The match was then paused just before the final whistle by both coaches to calm things down between the players, but the agro started up again.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Pushing and shoving” ensued between players, which was when a player was headlocked by a parent from the opposing side, the witness said.

Two further players were punched by parents, according to the witness. One player sustained a black eye while the other two were “roughed up”.

A police spokesperson said: “Police’s School Community Officers are aware of the report and working with the schools involved”.

Waikato Rugby was approached for comment on why the incident wasn’t made public in their earlier warning and what consequences could follow for those involved.

 Amy Marfell said the decision for sanction belongs with the schools themselves. Photo /  Christel Yardley
Amy Marfell said the decision for sanction belongs with the schools themselves. Photo / Christel Yardley

“Waikato Rugby are not responsible for the running of the secondary school rugby competition - this is overseen and run by a secondary school governance group and as a result, the incident is being dealt with through the appropriate channels, which are the schools themselves,” Waikato Rugby’s chief executive Amy Marfell said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Waikato Rugby do not publicise any sanctionable incidents that occur in the competitions that we run, these are dealt with by appropriate judiciary processes and we expect that this instance would be dealt with by the schools and the governance group under their own processes for breaches of the rules.”

“It is important that this incident and all incidents of this type are dealt with appropriately to ensure the safety of all participants, coaches, volunteers and spectators in the game.”

“Waikato Rugby has a clear position on this type of behaviour, which we have articulated, and we will work with any school or club to support them to deal with these matters.”

- LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Sport

Cowbell 'ban', horses and big names: Tensions rise before Chiefs-Crusaders clash

20 May 06:27 AM
Waikato Herald

Head Start or Back Stop: What next as Waikato councils eye amalgamation

20 May 06:09 AM
Waikato Herald

'Ongoing pattern of risk': Man who killed cyclist now jailed for ongoing assaults on mum

20 May 03:00 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Cowbell 'ban', horses and big names: Tensions rise before Chiefs-Crusaders clash
Sport

Cowbell 'ban', horses and big names: Tensions rise before Chiefs-Crusaders clash

The Chiefs will play the Crusaders on Friday at the One NZ Stadium in Christchurch.

20 May 06:27 AM
Head Start or Back Stop: What next as Waikato councils eye amalgamation
Waikato Herald

Head Start or Back Stop: What next as Waikato councils eye amalgamation

20 May 06:09 AM
'Ongoing pattern of risk': Man who killed cyclist now jailed for ongoing assaults on mum
Waikato Herald

'Ongoing pattern of risk': Man who killed cyclist now jailed for ongoing assaults on mum

20 May 03:00 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP