Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Richard Chambers told Tom Phillips documentary producer he’d ‘love to catch up’ before starting police commissioner job

RNZ
9 Apr, 2026 03:17 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Police Commissioner Richard Chambers said last week that police did not handle the Tom Phillips (inset) documentary properly, and the process was under review.

Police Commissioner Richard Chambers said last week that police did not handle the Tom Phillips (inset) documentary properly, and the process was under review.

By RNZ

The Police Commissioner told the producer of a documentary on the hunt for Marokopa fugitive Tom Phillips he would love to catch up, just before he began the top job.

Police have just released two pages of emails between Richard Chambers and producer Karen Rutherford.

They apologised, saying they inadvertently left the emails out of a much bigger release of documents RNZ reported on last week.

Rutherford, in an email titled “yay!!”, told Chambers on a Thursday in late November 2024 about talks with police over doing the documentary.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Chambers responded on a Saturday around 10pm, “I would love to catch up over a meal if you have time.”

She emailed him again that Sunday morning saying he would want to be fully briefed, and she could do the following Thursday when she was down in Wellington to meet with police communications staff.

“We are down to discuss our NZ/UK/US factual documentary on the Tom Phillips/Marokopa operation, which you will need to be across anyway, as we hope to work hand-in-hand with NZ Police. (Mark Mitchell is aware of this as I’ve mentioned to him, but Julie Christie is a friend of his and they’re getting together today for a proper debrief).”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Chambers replied on Sunday afternoon that it “might be a bit tight” but he would diary it.

The next day, he began his new job as commissioner.

Dame Julie Christie was the chief executive of the documentary production company that got extended exclusive access to the police hunt for Phillips and his children, missing in bush country in the Waikato.

Police Minister Mitchell issued a three-line statement to RNZ crime correspondent Sam Sherwood on Thursday, saying, “I have seen Julie at social occasions where she has talked about her work, including the documentary.

Police Commissioner Richard Chambers. Photo / RNZ, Calvin Samuel
Police Commissioner Richard Chambers. Photo / RNZ, Calvin Samuel

“It has always been clear that police are the decision-makers regarding documentaries and media access, as is the case in every interaction I have with media, either formally or informally. They are always referred to police for decision-making.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Chambers said last week that police did not handle the documentary properly and the process was under review.

The documentary crew received a text “heads up” from police comms before 7am to say Phillips “has been shot”, before the family were notified.

Police have also conceded that other media “were not served well”.

Rutherford, in her first email on November 21, had congratulated Chambers – “Great interview on ZB this morning, Richard, and a HUGE felicitations mon ami!”

“All the best and let’s catch up ... Enjoy getting your feet under the desk, and if I’m in Wellington and you’re free for five minutes I’ll poke my head into your office for a hello.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

She told him the documentary was “a wonderful opportunity to showcase the amount of work that has been going on behind the scenes for NZ Police on what has been a very high-profile operation”.

He responded, “Let me know what days you are in Wellie. I would love to catch up over a meal if you have time. And sorry for the delay coming back to you. It has been a bit busy.”

Her reply began: “Hiya Richard! Jeepers don’t apologise you have had a huge week!”

Noting her upcoming meeting with police comms, she said, “Would love to grab a coffee at the very least, am conscious though you’ll be flat out as it’s your first official week! You could always sit in on our meeting as you’ll want to be briefed fully to make sure you are happy with our proposal!”

– RNZ

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Sport

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold

19 May 06:03 AM
Waikato Herald

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 05:05 AM
Waikato Herald

Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search

19 May 03:00 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold
Sport

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold

WSL organisers are hopeful the Championship Tour competitions can resume on Friday.

19 May 06:03 AM
Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild
Waikato Herald

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 05:05 AM
Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search
Waikato Herald

Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search

19 May 03:00 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP