Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Raglan World Surf League traffic plan hailed as buses move 5350 fans

Jordan Smith - Local Democracy Reporter
Waikato Herald·
19 May, 2026 09:10 PM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The World Surf League's efficient bus network has led to thousands flocking to Manu Bay. Photo / Waikato Times

The World Surf League's efficient bus network has led to thousands flocking to Manu Bay. Photo / Waikato Times

Worries of Raglan grinding to a standstill amid the World Surf League have been put to bed.

The traffic management plan for the international event has been deemed a success by the Waikato District Council, especially after 5350 spectators utilised 20 continuous buses for the event’s Sunday spectacle, according to Mayor Aksel Bech.

As fans piled in from the assembly point at Raglan Airfield and were transported to Manu Bay, the event reached its total capacity of 6500 at 1pm.

While buses slowed down to a one-in/one-out configuration, Bech said it was “managed really well”.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“You can imagine how that could easily translate into chaos but it didn’t, so we’re pretty stoked with how that’s working.“

Feedback from locals has been nothing but positive according to Raglan/Whāingaroa councillor Lisa Thomson.

“People have been more surprised that it’s going well and there will be things that we will need to reflect on,” she said.

Thomson said the airfield had been critical in the success, with 2000-odd cars parked within walking distance from the town’s centre.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The design alone has meant parking in town is “no different than a summer’s day”, Thomson says, adding there’s no congestion in the centre of town.

“If we didn’t have that, it would be a nightmare,” she said, referring to the airfield.

“They’ve got lots of signage out, there’s VMS boards that say ‘no parking at Manu Bay’ ... the traffic management team’s out doing a great job ... it’s actually working really smoothly from my perspective.”

An adult single day bus ticket costs $15. Photo / Kelly Hodel, Waikato Times
An adult single day bus ticket costs $15. Photo / Kelly Hodel, Waikato Times

“There’s 6500 people out on site at Manu Bay and there’s still the normal action that’s happening in town. For a little community with a one-way bridge, it’s working well.”

The impression’s spread far and wide, as Bech said the Minister of Sport and Recreation Mark Mitchell was “delighted” at not only the transportation, but the entire operation after a conversation between the pair.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Minister of Tourism Louise Upston was also in attendance and gave her positive outlook.

“I’m really impressed by what I saw and will be watching the rest of the competition closely,” she said.

“From the professionalism of the organisers to deliver a great event, to the commitment and skill of the competitors and the very warm welcome, it was fantastic to be part of.”

Bech said he would love to see the WSL come back to Raglan, adding capacity could even increase as the council now “knows what we’re doing”.

Queues for the tournament have been fast and free-flowing. Photo / Waikato Times
Queues for the tournament have been fast and free-flowing. Photo / Waikato Times

He added that while he doesn’t encourage the Government to “drop surprises of this size on councils”, only providing three months for what is usually a year of preparation, council is grateful to have the opportunity regardless.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“There’ll be lots of learning so that we can make it smoother for the event organiser, for ourselves and just make sure everyone not only stays safe ... but also just has a great time.”

Thomson said the biggest thing to work on for next year would be providing free or subsidised bus travel for locals, but she was ecstatic with how the event is looking and feeling right now.

“Heaps of people with their picnic blankets and chairs just set up and then kids just amping to get the signatures of the pros ... given the short period of time to get this up and running, it’s something I think the community should be proud of.

“I knew we lived in paradise but now watching all the drone footage, it’s just beautiful. It actually looks like AI, but it’s not.”

– LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Waikato Herald
|Updated

Person critical after car careens across roundabout, smashes into Matamata house

19 May 09:27 PM
Premium
Waikato Herald

Beach town divided: Sex offender’s house tagged, bottles thrown into bedroom windows

19 May 05:00 PM
Sport

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold

19 May 06:03 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Person critical after car careens across roundabout, smashes into Matamata house
Waikato Herald
|Updated

Person critical after car careens across roundabout, smashes into Matamata house

SH24 through town is closed between Firth St and Burwood Rd.

19 May 09:27 PM
Premium
Premium
Beach town divided: Sex offender’s house tagged, bottles thrown into bedroom windows
Waikato Herald

Beach town divided: Sex offender’s house tagged, bottles thrown into bedroom windows

19 May 05:00 PM
Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold
Sport

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold

19 May 06:03 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP