Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Police remind public of Marokopa fugitive Tom Phillip’s violent past after new sighting

Rachel Maher
By Rachel Maher
Multimedia Journalist·NZ Herald·
29 Aug, 2025 12:41 AM5 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Detective Senior Sergeant Andy Saunders updates the media in relation to the investigation into the disappearance of Marokopa man Tom Phillips and his three children.

After a fresh sighting of missing fugitive Tom Phillips, Waikato police say the Marokopa father poses a risk to anyone trying to stop him, and the children’s safety is still their top priority.

Detective Senior Sergeant Andy Saunders said this means they are not looking at escalating their tactics, and the community needs only to look at the extensive list of charges Phillips is wanted for to see why.

“Well, if you go back and look at the current charges he’s facing, that was a serious violence offence committed with firearms, where a member of the public attempted to tackle him and was shot at.”

It came after police released fresh footage of Phillips and one of his children being caught on CCTV cameras using a power tool, suspected to be an angle grinder, to break into the Piopio Superette, a general store he previously targeted in 2023.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Sparks flew before the pair made away with a haul of general grocery items in the early hours of Wednesday.

At a press conference this morning, Saunders said they were still analysing CCTV and comparing it with previous footage, but he is “confident” it was Phillips. They were still trying to work out which child it was.

Detective Senior Sergeant Andy Saunders speaking in Hamilton this morning. Photo / Michael Craig
Detective Senior Sergeant Andy Saunders speaking in Hamilton this morning. Photo / Michael Craig

He said this new sighting could mean Phillips had fallen out with one of his supporters. Police have maintained they believe people in the rural Waikato community are helping the fugitive father.

Saunders said he was not looking at bringing in an elevated response, such as the SAS, at this stage, considering the possible risk Phillips poses.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“This will take as long as it takes. Our focus is to bring those children out safely. We’re not going to get into a confrontation situation.”

He said they still want to speak to anyone who is helping Phillips or has helped him previously.

“We want them to sit down with us and work out how we can get those children out safely,” Saunders said.

Police released the footage today.
Police released the footage today.

He said no one had come forward so far.

“Our focus is the children,” said Saunders.

“Every time we get new information or something like this happens, we re-evaluate and go, ‘well, what does this mean for the investigation?’. In terms of searching specific areas, we do have concerns around the risk Tom poses.”

Saunders said Phillips “seemed very comfortable” and spent 14 minutes in the area before the burglary was committed.

“And, yes, it certainly appears they’re looking at the cameras, but as you’ll see, they’re covered.”

Saunders said the investigation is looking closely into where the quad bike travelled to after the burglary.

Police investigating a retail burglary in rural Waikato have released CCTV footage believed to be of Marokopa father Tom Phillips and one of his children.
Police investigating a retail burglary in rural Waikato have released CCTV footage believed to be of Marokopa father Tom Phillips and one of his children.

The footage shows the man, assumed to be Phillips, and one of his children, targeting a back entrance of the Piopio Superette, which is covered with metal bars.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The child’s face is concealed by a piece of fabric stuck under their cap. The man has his hood pulled up, the cords drawn tightly to hide his face.

The pair use headlamps to scout the side of the building, not straying far from their quad bike, parked nearby on Ruru St.

At several points, the child can be seen pointing at the shop’s rear door, a security camera, a window, and then looking up at the man, apparently in conversation with him.

Sparks fly as a power tool is used to break into the store.

The footage shows the pair returning to the quad bike with goods, and turning to speed south down Ruru St in the direction of Aria.

A Piopio Superette worker told the Herald it had not been broken into this week.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

A nearby cafe worker had no knowledge of the new Phillips sighting and had not been spoken to by police this week.

Saunders said Phillips faced charges, including aggravated robbery, aggravated wounding and unlawful possession of a firearm.

“At the heart of this are three children who have been away from their home for four years. Their well-being is our main focus.”

Phillips and his three children disappeared from their family farm in Marokopa in December 2021. His immediate family have refused to give interviews for almost four years.

In a heartfelt plea earlier in August, his sister Rozzi reiterated that the family were still willing to help him.

“You’re very special to me. You’re my friend, as well as my brother, and I love you, and it’s okay.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Police investigating a retail burglary in rural Waikato have released CCTV footage of two people, believed to be Marokopa father Tom Phillips and one of his children.
Police investigating a retail burglary in rural Waikato have released CCTV footage of two people, believed to be Marokopa father Tom Phillips and one of his children.

Phillips and the children were last seen in October 2024, when they were filmed by two pig hunters walking through Marokopa farmland.

This winter marks the family’s fourth in Waikato’s King Country bush.

Jayda, Maverick and Ember were 8, 7 and 5 when they went into hiding. They are now 12, 10 and 9.

Police believe Phillips is being helped to evade discovery and is probably receiving supplies from the outside world.

In June last year, a reward of $80,000 was offered for information about the family’s whereabouts.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Waikato Herald

Missing Marokopa fugitive Tom Phillips: A full timeline of all the sightings

Waikato Herald

Caught on camera: Watch footage of masked fugitive Tom Phillips and child in suspected break-in

Waikato Herald

'Thunderstorm risks': Heavy winds, rain to hit NZ during last weekend of winter


Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Missing Marokopa fugitive Tom Phillips: A full timeline of all the sightings
Waikato Herald

Missing Marokopa fugitive Tom Phillips: A full timeline of all the sightings

Tom Phillips and his three children have been missing since December 2021.

29 Aug 12:42 AM
Caught on camera: Watch footage of masked fugitive Tom Phillips and child in suspected break-in
Waikato Herald

Caught on camera: Watch footage of masked fugitive Tom Phillips and child in suspected break-in

28 Aug 08:42 PM
'Thunderstorm risks': Heavy winds, rain to hit NZ during last weekend of winter
Waikato Herald

'Thunderstorm risks': Heavy winds, rain to hit NZ during last weekend of winter

28 Aug 08:22 PM


Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet
Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

10 Aug 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP