Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

New commercial development for Hamilton East

Nikki Preston
Hamilton News·
25 Sep, 2012 12:56 AM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

A three-level commercial development in Hamilton East's heritage precinct is to be built where a two-level shopping complex drew strong community opposition four years ago.

The latest proposal for the Eastgate development on the corner of Clyde St and Grey St was last week granted resource consent. There is space for two retailers and a cafe on the ground floor, and offices on the second and third floor.

Construction will begin next year and is expected to take 12 months. The building is much smaller in scale but one level higher than the developer's 2008 plans for a two-level retail complex with 40 shops.

Developer Barry Livingston said the new focus on office space was a result of speaking to the community trust, the council and the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary about what they wanted.

Hamilton East Community Trust chairwoman Lois Livingston, whose group strongly opposed having a large-scale shopping centre on the community-zoned site due to traffic concerns, said the developer had this time consulted the trust over the latest plans.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"We are disappointed it ever happened in the first place. We are pleased it is being set back [from the road] more than it was before and they are going to be planting some large trees around the development."

The trust unsuccessfully appealed the original plans at the environment court.

However, the city council awarded it $48,000 towards legal costs after independent advice found the council's processes in granting the first consent were flawed.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Blueprint finalised

2008 proposal: 2 level shopping centre plus offices, healthcare services and courtyard 153 parking spaces (75 at basement level)

2011 proposal: 1 level development 1201sq m of retail space and offices 91 parking spaces Current proposal: 3 levels with 346.5sq m of retail space 3717sq m of office space on 2nd and 3rd floors 187 parking spaces in basement and rear of building

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Sport

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold

19 May 06:03 AM
Waikato Herald

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 05:05 AM
Waikato Herald

Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search

19 May 03:00 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold
Sport

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold

WSL organisers are hopeful the Championship Tour competitions can resume on Friday.

19 May 06:03 AM
Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild
Waikato Herald

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 05:05 AM
Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search
Waikato Herald

Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search

19 May 03:00 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP