Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Hamilton volleyball dispute heads to court

Kathryn Powley
Hamilton News·
7 Oct, 2012 08:18 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

A Hamilton City Councillor is taking his own council to the Disputes Tribunal over a funding cut that could spell the end of an annual beach volleyball competition in the city.

The competition is on the international circuit and is due to be held on Auckland Anniversary weekend at the end of January, but councillor Dave Macpherson, who is also president of the Waikato Regional Volleyball Association, said he would file a complaint with the Disputes Tribunal this week over an about-turn from the council on funding the semi-professional two-day summer event.

He said the council's events sponsorship committee was cutting its contribution for the event from $15,000 to $10,000. This summer's would have been the third year it had been held, but it may now not go ahead.

"Before it started we had a three-year agreement with the city council." He said the special sand court was expensive to set up beside the Hamilton Lake. It was a free-to-the-public event that attracted 3000-4000 this year.

"The agreement was for $15,000 which meets maybe two-thirds of the total costs. The city council decided this year to reduce it to $10,000, which isn't even enough to bring in the sand."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Macpherson said by reneging on the agreement the council left the association with no choice but to pull out of the tour.

"I have given them fair warning that I am planning to lodge a claim with the Disputes Tribunal next week. We don't want to call it off, but we will have to," he said.

Mayor Julie Hardaker said the council had confirmed who it would give sponsorship to but she was unable to discuss the outcome for the beach volleyball funding specifically.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

She said the budget available for events had been reduced by about a third as a result of budget constraints, as well as the council's decision to apply to be a host for the 2015 under-20 Fifa World Cup. It had to put money aside in case it was successful in chasing a host city spot. Council was meeting tomorrow on the issue.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Lifestyle

French Film Festival returns to Hamilton with blockbusters and Cannes hits

20 May 12:18 AM
Waikato Herald

Centre of excellence: New Taupō hub boosts emergency air ambulance network

19 May 11:15 PM
Waikato Herald

Person critical after car careens across roundabout, smashes into Matamata house

19 May 09:27 PM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

French Film Festival returns to Hamilton with blockbusters and Cannes hits
Lifestyle

French Film Festival returns to Hamilton with blockbusters and Cannes hits

Screenings include political thriller 13 Days, 13 Nights, set in Taliban-beset Kabul.

20 May 12:18 AM
Centre of excellence: New Taupō hub boosts emergency air ambulance network
Waikato Herald

Centre of excellence: New Taupō hub boosts emergency air ambulance network

19 May 11:15 PM
Person critical after car careens across roundabout, smashes into Matamata house
Waikato Herald

Person critical after car careens across roundabout, smashes into Matamata house

19 May 09:27 PM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP