Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Female security guard punched in nose at Waikato Hospital

NZ Herald
20 Jun, 2019 02:42 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
A female security guard is off work after a patient at Waikato Hospital reportedly broke her nose with a punch. Photo / Alan Gibson

A female security guard is off work after a patient at Waikato Hospital reportedly broke her nose with a punch. Photo / Alan Gibson

A female security guard is off work after being punched in the nose by a patient who was trying to escape Waikato Hospital.

The guard, who is now recovering with a suspected broken nose, was called to help with the "highly agitated" patient on Tuesday as the patient was trying to leave. She was punched in the nose with a closed fist, her union E tū said.

Last month another female guard was assaulted at Waikato Hospital, left with multiple facial fractures and at least three months off work.

Allied Security is the security contractor for the Waikato District Health Board, and also the Canterbury DHB, where there have been four serious assaults on guards since Christmas.

READ MORE
• Family of beaten hospital security guard say her employers failed to keep her safe
• Hospital security guard broke protocol to save bashed colleague's life
•Security guard attacked at Waikato Hospital lucky to be alive: Accused appears in court

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

E tū organiser Iriaka Rauhihi said the union was appalled by the second serious assault in just over a month at the hospital.

"What are they waiting for – a fatality?

"Assaults are frequent at this DHB and we're well aware of Allied Security's record in Christchurch as well. Our members feel unsafe and I'm not the only one worried that someone will die if things don't improve – our members are saying the same thing," she said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Melinda Ch'ng, Waikato DHB director of business and support, confirmed the incident had happened on Tuesday after a guard was called to help with an agitated patient.

"The guard was struck in the face and received treatment in the hospital's Emergency Department and was discharged home," she said in a statement.

"Workplace violence from patients and family members towards staff is a recognised and ongoing risk; which is constantly being managed by the DHB. Any attack on staff or contractors working in our DHB is concerning. Every event is reviewed to see whether we can manage things differently."

The DHB and Allied Security had implemented initiatives to improve safety, including more training for security staff and extra "security resource", she said.

"The DHB has met with E tū to discuss improving hospital security."

The string of assaults had raised serious alarm bells, E tū campaign lead Mat Danaher said.

"We are now looking at a record of failure to stem the ongoing violence on hospital wards in Waikato and Christchurch."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The Herald has asked the Waikato DHB for comment.

DHBs were due to meet shortly with E tū to review hospital security, Danaher said - a move he said was long overdue.

"Violence on our hospital wards is a serious issue, affecting all staff. The nurses complain wards are unsafe and both they and our security members are frequently in the firing line.

"There are systemic failures including under-staffing, lack of training and poor health and safety processes. We are looking forward to the upcoming security review and welcome the fact that DHBs nationally are taking this issue seriously."

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Waikato Herald

One dead, one critically injured in three-car crash on SH1 near Pōkeno

18 May 07:31 AM
Waikato Herald
|Updated

Multiple Domino’s stores banned from hiring more migrant workers after visa breach

18 May 04:59 AM
Waikato Herald

New Tongariro Great Walk hut on track, but summer route no longer full circuit

18 May 02:00 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

One dead, one critically injured in three-car crash on SH1 near Pōkeno
Waikato Herald

One dead, one critically injured in three-car crash on SH1 near Pōkeno

SH1 southbound lanes are closed between Pioneer Rd and Great South Rd.

18 May 07:31 AM
Multiple Domino’s stores banned from hiring more migrant workers after visa breach
Waikato Herald
|Updated

Multiple Domino’s stores banned from hiring more migrant workers after visa breach

18 May 04:59 AM
New Tongariro Great Walk hut on track, but summer route no longer full circuit
Waikato Herald

New Tongariro Great Walk hut on track, but summer route no longer full circuit

18 May 02:00 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP