Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Daughter of Tawera Nikau upset at media

Hamilton News
13 Mar, 2012 07:47 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

The daughter of former Kiwis rugby league legend Tawera Nikau is said to be upset by media reports that she said had unfairly maligned her after a public spat she had with her father.

A source close to the family said Heaven-Leigh Nikau was staying with relatives following an incident
outside the Huntly police station in February in which Nikau allegedly grabbed his daughter by the neck after an argument. She reportedly fell to the ground before going into the station, where she laid a complaint.

The source said Heaven-Leigh said their relationship was strained and the pair had not spoken since the incident.

They also said Heaven-Leigh was upset by some newspaper reports that brought her mental health into question.

"She definitely feels that it hasn't been totally fair, but she's staying away from saying anything.

"But she's coping really well. She's being supported and assisted by [a Huntly] family."

Yesterday, Tawera Nikau appeared at the Huntly District Court and pleaded not guilty to a charge of male assaults female. The 45-year-old was accompanied by his wife, Hayley, and lawyer Gary Gotlieb.

Community magistrate Sue Hovell questioned some of the reporting of the incident. She said the private and personal family matter had been sensationalised unfairly because of Nikau's prominent public profile as a sports star and now successful businessman.

"This is a family matter of a sensitive nature. There are concerns over the daughter's mental health, but concerns not only for her but also her children... so any publicity should be minimised."

Ms Hovell remanded Nikau to reappear before the court on June 1.

Nikau left the court quickly after his brief appearance, with a polite "no comment, thanks mate".

The Nikau family source said he was "hugely respected" and well-liked in the Huntly community and seen as a role model. "Ask anyone and they'll all say the same thing, he's a good man."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Sport

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold

19 May 06:03 AM
Waikato Herald

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 05:05 AM
Waikato Herald

Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search

19 May 03:00 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold
Sport

Why World Surf League event in Raglan has gone on days-long hold

WSL organisers are hopeful the Championship Tour competitions can resume on Friday.

19 May 06:03 AM
Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild
Waikato Herald

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 05:05 AM
Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search
Waikato Herald

Foot chase in Waikato: Man accused of fleeing police during meth search

19 May 03:00 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP