Five people allegedly tortured the occupants of a Northland house using a golf club, serrated knife and a gas torch blower for information on the whereabouts of a couple, a jury has heard.

The five— Paul Johnson, 30, Frank Rota, 42, Jason Williams, 39, Maurice Reti, 55, Linton McIntyre, 57— are on trial in the High Court in Whangārei on a number of charges.

All are jointly facing four charges of kidnapping, three of injuring with intent to injure, two of aggravated robbery, one of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

All, except Reti, face an additional charge of commission of crime with a firearm.


They, except Reti, allegedly entered a house in Paihia in early March 2017, beat the three occupants and another person who arrived and met the same fate, and took off with electrical items.

Crown solicitor Mike Smith told the jury that while behind bars at the Northland Region Corrections Facility at Ngawha, just outside Kaikohe, Reti made a series of phone calls to people.

In an act of revenge, Smith said Reti allegedly directed them to locate his former partner and a Black Power gang member she had formed a relationship with.

Unfortunately, Mr Smith said the occupants of a house in Paihia who were allegedly assaulted with a golf club, a serrated knife and a gas torch blower did not know where the couple were and how to contact them.

For about four hours, he said the occupants were held captive and were confined to the kitchen and lounge area.

Smith said the men also allegedly demanded property, drugs, electrical items and money.

In his brief opening statement to the jury, Reti's lawyer Wayne McKean said his client called upon his family to help protect his property and other items from his former partner and the gang member.

What allegedly took place at the Paihia house was unrelated to the recovery of Reti's property and other items, he said.


"That wasn't part of what he was up to," McKean told the jury.

Rota, Williams and McIntyre admitted they were at the house in Paihia but denied doing anything illegal.

Johnson declined to make a statement to police.

The trial before Justice Grant Powell continues.