No Sand Mining Bream Bay protest banner hangs at Ruakaka Beach Photo: RNZ / Cole Eastham-Farrelly
No Sand Mining Bream Bay protest banner hangs at Ruakaka Beach Photo: RNZ / Cole Eastham-Farrelly
Three Northland mayors are expected to be among the hundreds predicted to take to the sand and sea at Ruakākā Beach on Sunday for what looks set to be the region’s biggest, noisiest protest ever against the ongoing threat of sandmining in Bream Bay.
The mayors whohad previously committed to taking part are Ken Couper, Whangārei, who lives in Bream Bay, Moko Te Pania, Far North, and Jonathan Larsen, Kaipara.
Kapa haka groups, waka ama and boating clubs, surf lifesavers, the Waipū Highland Band, Whangārei businesses, and political leaders will be among those taking part in the rally.
The demonstration comes at a critical time, as McCallum Brothers Limited (MBL) has lodged the final paperwork for its fast-tracked application to extract up to about 150,000 cubic metres of sand a year in Bream Bay for an initial period of three years, and up to about 250,000 cubic metres a year thereafter.
An expert panel is now being formed under convener and barrister, Helen Atkins. Once appointed, the panel will have just 30 days to determine whether consent will be granted to MBL for the project.
The protest will bring together people from across the community to defend Bream Bay. Waka ama clubs will be positioning themselves offshore alongside multiple recreational boats.
Onshore, the Waipū Highland Band will be making plenty of noise, bringing additional pipes and drums to share with fellow protesters.
Sotheby’s Realty is donating hundreds of Easter eggs and drinks for participants.
Mayor Couper said, “The people of Whangarei and Bream Bay are passionate about this, and we are urging those in charge of the process to take note and listen”.
The event has been organised by Bream Bay Guardians Society, which was specifically formed to challenge the proposal. A recent survey by Phoenix Research showed 97% of the community is against sand mining in the area.
“We need to make it very clear to the panel that sand mining isn’t welcome in Bream Bay, nor is it needed for future growth,” Bream Bay Guardians spokeswoman Mary Sinclair said.
During 2022, hundreds of people formed a Save our Sand SOS on Mangawhai Beach to show opposition to plans to mine sand along that coast for the next 20 years. Photo / skinelementslimited.com
MBL was previously sand mining at Pakiri, in Auckland, but officially abandoned its efforts to continue sand mining there in August.
The company withdrew its High Court appeal, surrendered temporary consent, and agreed to cease all dredging operations immediately to end a decades-long dispute with Ngāti Manuhiri and local, environmental and iwi opposition.
Sarah Curtis is a news reporter for the Northern Advocate, focusing on a wide range of issues. She has nearly 20 years’ experience in journalism, most of which she spent court reporting in Gisborne and on the East Coast.