Two times over limit

Driving home from the pub while more than twice the legal alcohol limit has seen a Coopers Beach man disqualified from driving for six months. Terrence Yates, 50, surveyor, appeared in Kaitaia District Court on Tuesday, and pleaded guilty to driving with excess breath alcohol. Yates left Taipa Tavern about 10pm on July 14 and was stopped by police. A breath test revealed he had a level of 502 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath. The legal limit for motorists aged 20 and over is 250mcg. Yates was fined $500, ordered to pay $130 court costs and disqualified for six months.

Warning for bach owners

Mid-North Police have issued a warning to bach owners to step up security and neighbours to keep their eye out after a spate of burglaries at beach settlements. Senior Sergeant Brian Swann said Kaeo Constable Richard Avery and Kaikohe officers were investigating bach break-ins in the Whangaroa to Matauri Bay area. Other areas hit recently include Omapere and Opononi. the nature of holiday homes means that owners often discover the burglary some time after it has happened. Police are investigating leads in a couple of burglaries in the Whangaroa coastal area.


Jewellert theft investigation ongoing

Investigations into the burglary at a Kerikeri jewellery shop are continuing. Burglars broke into Diamonds Direct at around 3am on Tuesday morning, and stole high quality diamond rings worth many thousands of dollars. Police are asking anyone with information about property break-ins, the diamonds theft or other crime to contact them or anonymously call the Crimestoppers line, phone 0800 555 111.

Crash victim named

Police have released the name of a 65-year-old man who died in a four-vehicle crash just south of Whangarei last weekend. He was Timothy Rankin. Mr Rankin was driving south on State Highway 1, near Mata, at 4.45pm on Sunday, when the collision occurred. A service for Mr Rankin will be held tomorrow.

Dangerous man in court

Dean Stephen Yates, 41, appeared in Kaitaia District Court on Tuesday via audio visual link from prison. Yates is facing two counts of kidnapping and others of sexual violation, attempting to commit sexual violation, indecently assaulting a boy aged over 16, wounding with intent to cause GBH, threatening to kill, injuring with intent to injure and obstructing/perverting the course of justice. He was remanded in custody until January 24, next year, for call over.