A sharemilker's day got off to a horror start when a quadbike he was riding caught fire.

The incident happened just before 7am yesterday on a farm on Finlayson Brook Rd in Waipu.

Waipu fire chief Trevor Vaile said the sharemilker was riding the quadbike when he smelt something burning. He got off the quadbike, lifted the seat up and checked the battery.

Mr Vaile said the sharemilker tried to disconnect the battery but he did not have the right tools to do so. The quadbike soon erupted into flames.


One fire appliance from Waipu was called but Mr Vaile said the quadbike was a raging inferno by the time firefighters arrived. They put the fire out but nothing could be saved. The quadbike was reduced to a skeleton.

The sharemilker was not injured.

A birds' nest was responsible for a tractor fire on the same farm about this time last year. The tractor was extensively damaged.