WaiBOP United have suffered their fourth straight defeat in a row, after conceding two goals against Capital Football, losing 2-1.

Their first game against Auckland Football Federation showed early defensive woes for the young team, against Canterbury Pride they suffered another heavy defeat, but in recent performances they have shown that they could cause an upset in one or two games this season.

Despite the scoreline, a draw could had been argued as the fairer result, with WaiBOP in control for much of the second half, while the home side, Capital Football, had the majority of play in the first half.

Capital Football's Emma Main was the biggest threat on the pitch for WaiBOP in the first half, with her shot in the first 15 minutes drawing a strong save from Georgia Candy.


The constant pressure from the home team was forcing the young WaiBOP defence into putting on one of their strongest performances this season, holding off attack after attack in their final third.

Tiana Hill, Helen Talbot and Kate Williams have been growing as a defensive partnership at the back, while last weeks game against Southern United that the forward mindedness of the players leave them exposed on the counter.

Despite the relentless attack from Capital, WaiBOP were slowly coming into their own and struck a blow to the home side on the counter attack, in much the same way Southern did to them last week.

Ella Golding found room to run into down the right hand side and with a pinpoint cross, found Kelli Brown in the box, who's first time half volley found the back of the net.

WaiBOP were beginning to thrive on Capital's pressure, as each time they were able to win the ball back and set up a counter of their own, with Capital struggling to keep up.

The first part of the second half continued in much the same fashion for WaiBOP who were slowly taking control of the game.

WaiBOP looked on track for their first three points this season, with continued defensive tenancity from Hill.

In the 60th minute, Georgia Candy made a finger tip save to deny Capital an equaliser, but with minutes left WaiBOP's defence finally broke.


Charlotte Wilford-Carroll stabbed home a loose ball to pull Capital back into the game, with a draw looking more and more likely.

WaiBOP's hearts were shattered 20 seconds from full time when Sarah Gregorious picked up a loose WaiBOP clearance and fired home a winner to secure the three points for Capital.

WaiBOP currently sit bottom of the table with Central Football Federation on zero points, with only their goal difference keeping them off the foot.

Next week they face Central in a double header with a possible six points up for grabs.