Claudelands Rovers pulled off one of the upsets of round one of the Chatham Cup on Saturday, beating Fencibles AFC 3-2 at Galloway Park.

Claudelands sits 13 places below Auckland side Fencibles who are currently in second place in the Lotto NRFL division one while Claudelands are in fourth place in division two.

On Saturday, spectators could be forgiven for thinking Claudelands was the division one team as they dominated the opening 45 minutes of the game, not allowing Fencibles the chance to play.

It was more than just one player standing out for Rovers. Owen Comber was causing as many problems on the right wing as Jono Viviani on the left. In the midfield, Dave Smith and Perry Katesmark were covering every blade of grass. The defence, when called upon, stepped up to the play, particularly Kyle Kirsten who made several crucial last minute tackles.


Up front, Bailey Webster was causing havoc for Fencible's defence along with Jacob Robb, but a goal in the first half did not come, despite the numerous chances the team had.

At half time the general thought from the crowd was that Claudelands had lost their chance, that they needed a goal in the first half as Fencibles would come out stronger in the second half.

And they did, with Fencibles scoring in the opening five minutes of play. A loose ball was played through, and despite confusion from the Claudelands players after the referee told the players to leave the ball, Jordan Kalk scored for Fencibles.

Claudelands did not switch off however and 10 minutes later found themselves back in the game.

Jono Vivani was able to use his pace to get on the end of a cross and slide the ball home into the net levelling the game at 1-1.

With the game becoming more open, it was Claudelands who took control again, as 16-year-old Owen Comber whipped in a cross which deflected into the back of Fencibles' net, making it 2-1.

It was then veteran Dave Smith who put Claudelands 3-1 up after his striker from 30 yards out beat the Fencible's keeper.

Fencibles pulled one back before full-time, but it was not enough as Claudelands held out for the 3-2 win.

At the start of the season, Claudelands coach Mark Cossey said the goal for his side was promotion to division one. On Saturday, after the game, he said his team was going to win the double.