Gisborne Herald
  • Gisborne Herald Home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Locations

  • Gisborne
  • Bay of Plenty
  • Hawke's Bay

Media

  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Gisborne

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Gisborne Herald

Hooded teenager who stormed field, punched player in schoolboy rugby game at Gisborne, referred to Youth Services

Lane Nichols
Reporter & Deputy Head of News·NZ Herald·
14 Oct, 2025 12:39 AM3 mins to read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
A hooded teen stormed the field during an altercation in a school rugby match and punched a player from Napier Boys' High School. Photo / Whakaata Māori

A hooded teen stormed the field during an altercation in a school rugby match and punched a player from Napier Boys' High School. Photo / Whakaata Māori

Police have identified a hooded teenager who was videoed storming the field during a schoolboy rugby game and punching a teenage player in the head.

Footage of the May 30 attack, during the first half of a Super 8 Rugby First XV game between Napier Boys’ High School and Gisborne Boys’ High School, went viral on social media.

It’s understood the assailant was visiting Gisborne from Wellington when the assault took place and was not connected to the local school.

Police launched an investigation into the incident but weeks later were yet to speak to the offender.

However, in a statement to the Herald last month, a spokesman said a young person had now been interviewed in relation to the assault and the matter referred to the Youth Services team.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Police are not looking for anyone else in relation to this matter.”

A hooded man stormed the field during an altercation in a school rugby match and punched a player from Napier Boys' High School. Photo / Whakaata Māori
A hooded man stormed the field during an altercation in a school rugby match and punched a player from Napier Boys' High School. Photo / Whakaata Māori

Pressed for further details about the young person, police confirmed he was a teenage male, but declined to provide further information given his age.

Gisborne Boys’ High School principal Tom Cairns said the teenager was not a member of the school community, had never been enrolled at the school “and is unknown to us”.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“My understanding is that this person does not even live in Gisborne or our region.”

Play was disrupted when a high tackle sparked an on-field stoush at the Gisborne ground.

A hooded man (on the right) makes his way on to the field from the sideline before striking a Napier player. Photo / Whakaata Māori
A hooded man (on the right) makes his way on to the field from the sideline before striking a Napier player. Photo / Whakaata Māori

A broadcast of the game shows a Napier Boys’ player lying injured on the field after the tackle. One of his teammates then pushes the Gisborne player responsible for the tackle, and other Napier teammates join in.

The hooded teen then runs along the sidelines and appears to swing at the Napier Boys’ player involved in the initial altercation.

Gisborne Boys’ High earlier told the Herald the assailant had been identified and his name passed to police on the day of the attack.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

In a statement the following day, a police spokeswoman said police were making inquiries, which included locating and speaking to those involved.

“This behaviour is not acceptable and we will be doing all we can to hold those responsible accountable.”

Cairns attended the match along with All Blacks coach Scott Robertson.

“Just after halftime, there was a high tackle event and a bit of push and shove.”

Cairns said no punches were thrown by either team.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Then a person has entered from the side of the field and he has punched one of the Napier players.

“That person was removed by the associate principal. Then a member of the public has dragged that person away.

“He was unknown to school staff. He’s not a member or old boy of the school. He has nothing to do with our school community.”

Cairns said Gisborne eventually won the match 13-7, but the event was “marred” by the incident.

“Certainly, we don’t condone or tolerate that sort of violence. It’s pretty disgusting that someone would do that.”

Napier Boys’ High School principal Simon Coe declined to comment.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Gisborne Herald

Gisborne Herald

‘Seeing kids hurting themselves’: Root damage to footpaths spurs call to remove trees

18 May 05:00 PM
Gisborne Herald

Rockquest finalists found: Twelve bands to raise the War Memorial Theatre roof

18 May 04:00 AM
Gisborne Herald

News digest: SH35 stretch re-opening 24/7, plant variety rights update, $23,573 Lotto win

18 May 03:52 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Gisborne Herald

‘Seeing kids hurting themselves’: Root damage to footpaths spurs call to remove trees
Gisborne Herald

‘Seeing kids hurting themselves’: Root damage to footpaths spurs call to remove trees

Residents say jagged, raised concrete has left some repeatedly injured.

18 May 05:00 PM
Rockquest finalists found: Twelve bands to raise the War Memorial Theatre roof
Gisborne Herald

Rockquest finalists found: Twelve bands to raise the War Memorial Theatre roof

18 May 04:00 AM
News digest: SH35 stretch re-opening 24/7, plant variety rights update, $23,573 Lotto win
Gisborne Herald

News digest: SH35 stretch re-opening 24/7, plant variety rights update, $23,573 Lotto win

18 May 03:52 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Gisborne Herald
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Gisborne Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP