Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times / Sport

Injured teen star Sam Ruthe won’t be rushed back onto the track

RNZ
14 Apr, 2026 09:12 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Sam Ruthe, 17, has a stress fracture, affecting his plans for the Commonwealth Games and world under-20 championships. Photo / Photosport

Sam Ruthe, 17, has a stress fracture, affecting his plans for the Commonwealth Games and world under-20 championships. Photo / Photosport

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

By RNZ

There is no timeframe yet on a possible return to the track for teen running star Sam Ruthe.

The 17-year-old revealed at the weekend that he had suffered a stress fracture in his leg.

It put into doubt his plan for the year which included the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in July followed by the world under-20 championships in the United States.

His father, Ben Ruthe, said Sam’s team have had a chance to review his medical status and complete a recovery plan back to fitness.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“The nature of the injury to his fibula means that Sam will have a full recovery without any lasting impact to his running career,” Ben Ruthe said.

The teenager is being treated by High Performance New Zealand doctor Dan Exeter and Tauranga-based physiotherapist Leanna Veale, with his coach Craig Kirkwood.

His father said his son’s recovery includes swimming and biking before the introduction of “load-bearing exercise moving through to jogging”.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Ben Ruthe said the aim is for a full recovery rather than rushing back to training.

“It means no decisions have been made around the upcoming Northern Hemisphere track season at this time.”

Ruthe has broken a number of records over the last year, including Sir John Walker’s long-standing national mile record when he clocked 3min 48.88sec at an indoor meet in Boston in February.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Sport

Premium
Sport

From Twickenham flashpoint to 'hit job' claims: The untold story and details of Scott Robertson's All Blacks exit

09 May 05:00 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

Sititi, Taukei'aho doubles lift Chiefs over Reds

08 May 11:27 AM
Sport

Medical advice sees Carrington withdraw from World Cup regatta

08 May 04:35 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Sport

Premium
Premium
From Twickenham flashpoint to 'hit job' claims: The untold story and details of Scott Robertson's All Blacks exit
Sport

From Twickenham flashpoint to 'hit job' claims: The untold story and details of Scott Robertson's All Blacks exit

'F*** it': Coaching box and comms, politics and players – why Razor's dream fell apart.

09 May 05:00 PM
Sititi, Taukei'aho doubles lift Chiefs over Reds
Bay of Plenty Times

Sititi, Taukei'aho doubles lift Chiefs over Reds

08 May 11:27 AM
Medical advice sees Carrington withdraw from World Cup regatta
Sport

Medical advice sees Carrington withdraw from World Cup regatta

08 May 04:35 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP