Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times

Waioweka Gorge slip risk cancels SH2 convoys between Gisborne and Ōpōtiki

Rotorua Daily Post
17 Feb, 2026 12:03 AM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Morning Headlines | North Island clean-up begins and Wellington water meeting hears frustration | Tuesday, February 17, 2026

A further slip in the Waioweka Gorge this morning has cancelled guided convoys for at least the next 25 hours.

State Highway 2 through the gorge was closed for several weeks following severe weather and multiple slips in January before opening to guided public convoys earlier this month.

Today’s slip initially only delayed this morning’s planned convoys, however, NZ Transport Agency said in an update at 11.30am all convoys for the rest of today were cancelled due to the risk of ongoing slips.

This included the 11am convoy Gisborne-bound, which had been turned around, through to and including the 1pm Ōpōtiki-bound convoy tomorrow.

“A safety inspection will take place tomorrow [February 18] to assess the condition of the road before any further convoys take place,” the agency said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Decisions to cancel planned convoys are not taken lightly, as we know how critical this route is. However, the safety of our crews and everyone using this road is paramount.

“This new slip illustrates the ongoing fragility of the road and highlights that convoys could get still cancelled at very short notice.”

The agency said convoys were for essential travel only.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Convoys will only proceed if it is safe to do so and crews will be monitoring continuously.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Bay of Plenty Times

From kayak chat to Coast to Coast: Couple’s race-day love story

17 Feb 01:00 AM
Bay of Plenty Times

Runs in the family: The youngest Ruthe’s challenge to brother Sam

17 Feb 12:04 AM
Bay of Plenty Times

Power back after outage hits 741 properties in Mount Maunganui

16 Feb 10:57 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

From kayak chat to Coast to Coast: Couple’s race-day love story
Bay of Plenty Times

From kayak chat to Coast to Coast: Couple’s race-day love story

The couple first matched on a dating app while debating the best race kayak.

17 Feb 01:00 AM
Runs in the family: The youngest Ruthe’s challenge to brother Sam
Bay of Plenty Times

Runs in the family: The youngest Ruthe’s challenge to brother Sam

17 Feb 12:04 AM
Power back after outage hits 741 properties in Mount Maunganui
Bay of Plenty Times

Power back after outage hits 741 properties in Mount Maunganui

16 Feb 10:57 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP