Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times

Tauranga man to shave moustache he has had for 45 years as fundraiser for Tauranga Moana Men's Nightshelter

Samantha Motion
Samantha Motion
Regional Content Leader·Bay of Plenty Times·
10 Jan, 2018 08:35 PMQuick Read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Francis Sydenham has pledged to shave off the moustache he has had for 45 years as a fundraiser for the Tauranga Moana Night Shelter.

Francis Sydenham is preparing to say goodbye to the handlebar moustache he has sported for 45 years - for a good cause.

The Tauranga resident and former car dealership owner has pledged to shave off his 'stache as a fundraiser to help the Tauranga Moana Men's Nightshelter.

Sydenham said he grew the moustache shortly after he arrived in Tauranga 45 years ago, but had been thinking lately "it might be time for a change".

Feeling that the city had been good to him and wanting to give back, he has encouraged his friends to donate to the night shelter to celebrate the end of the mo.

He was planning to give it the chop in early January or late February, after he had secured a barber.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The shelter has started raising money to build 10 studio units to support men through the transition back into a home, and free up space in the 20-bed existing shelter.

Shelter manager Annamarie Angus said she had never met Sydenham but thought his idea was "wonderful", and a great help to get the word out about the studio unit fundraiser.

DONATE: givealittle.co.nz/cause/homeless-and-vulnerable-people

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Francis Sydenham is prepared to give his mo the chop - for a good cause. Photo/George Novak
Francis Sydenham is prepared to give his mo the chop - for a good cause. Photo/George Novak

Discover more

Community spirit helps man turn life around

17 Nov 08:08 PM

Begging and rough sleeper ban proposed

20 Nov 06:00 PM

Playing Santa for a good cause

27 Nov 12:33 AM

Night shelter seeks $100,000 council grant

12 Dec 08:00 PM
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Premium
Opinion

How phones and 'tricks not logic' are crippling kids' maths brains

20 May 04:00 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

Bus and motorbike collide at Rotorua intersection, road closed for hours

20 May 07:28 AM
Bay of Plenty Times

'Sociopathic behaviour': $2000 reward offered to find cat shooter

20 May 03:24 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Premium
Premium
How phones and 'tricks not logic' are crippling kids' maths brains
Opinion

How phones and 'tricks not logic' are crippling kids' maths brains

OPINION: Tutor Sharon McEwan warns that many Year 9 and 10 students work at Year 7 level.

20 May 04:00 PM
Bus and motorbike collide at Rotorua intersection, road closed for hours
Bay of Plenty Times

Bus and motorbike collide at Rotorua intersection, road closed for hours

20 May 07:28 AM
'Sociopathic behaviour': $2000 reward offered to find cat shooter
Bay of Plenty Times

'Sociopathic behaviour': $2000 reward offered to find cat shooter

20 May 03:24 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP