Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times
Updated

Mount Maunganui landslide: WorkSafe opens investigation into holiday park deaths

Rotorua Daily Post
19 Feb, 2026 11:54 PM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Morning Headlines | Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested over misconduct and new density rules better fit for Auckland | Friday, February 20, 2026

WorkSafe New Zealand has officially begun an investigation into work health and safety at Mount Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park in the lead up to last month’s fatal landslide.

Six people died after a section of Mauao hillside collapsed, sending a landslide into the holiday park and Mount Hot Pools about 9.30am on January 22.

WorkSafe’s announcement today followed the completion of the recovery operation by police on February 1.

WorkSafe central regional manager Nigel Formosa said the organisation had taken time to be clear about what sat within its remit.

“Our investigation will focus on work‑related matters prior to the landslide."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

This included establishing whether there had been a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 by businesses and organisations related to the operation of the holiday park.

WorkSafe would utilise technical experts and gather information from a range of sources.

“Our team is focused on understanding the decisions and circumstances that shaped the work environment at the holiday park before the landslide,” Formosa said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“We’re committed to carrying out a careful, methodical investigation that stays grounded in evidence and the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, for the victims and their whānau.

“This will take time, but it’s important we complete a thorough investigation.”

WorkSafe had already started to engage with Tauranga City Council as the operator of the holiday park, and the roles of other parties would also be considered in coming months.

Its investigation was independent of the Government inquiry and Tauranga City Council’s external review into the disaster.

“Given the amount of information and technical expertise involved, we expect this investigation to take a full year.”

Tauranga City Council chief executive Marty Grenfell. Photo / Dean Purcell. 26/1/26
Tauranga City Council chief executive Marty Grenfell. Photo / Dean Purcell. 26/1/26

Tauranga City Council said it’s fully cooperating with WorkSafe and would continue to provide all information and assistance required to support a thorough and independent investigation.

“We welcome WorkSafe’s independent investigation and are committed to fully supporting that process,” Chief executive Marty Grenfell said.

“It’s essential we understand what happened and whether anything could or should have been done differently.”

Grenfell said Council were equally committed to supporting the external review by Hon Paul Davison KC initiated by the Mayor and Councillors.

“An external review is a vital part of this process, allowing us to establish the facts so that we can carefully examine our processes and ensure we continue to strengthen our approach to safety and risk management.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Transparency and learnings are critical as we move forward.”

Tauranga City Council recognises that WorkSafe’s investigation is underway and will make no further statements on the investigation at this time.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Bay of Plenty Times

Oceans 26 opens at Pāpāmoa

19 Feb 10:11 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

Major detours ahead: Five-night closure of SH29 over Kaimai Range

19 Feb 09:00 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

Baypark Speedway back at full throttle with Bay Piston Cup showpiece

19 Feb 08:47 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Oceans 26 opens at Pāpāmoa
Bay of Plenty Times

Oceans 26 opens at Pāpāmoa

A total of 731 junior surf lifesavers from 52 clubs hit the sand and surf on day one.

19 Feb 10:11 PM
Major detours ahead: Five-night closure of SH29 over Kaimai Range
Bay of Plenty Times

Major detours ahead: Five-night closure of SH29 over Kaimai Range

19 Feb 09:00 PM
Baypark Speedway back at full throttle with Bay Piston Cup showpiece
Bay of Plenty Times

Baypark Speedway back at full throttle with Bay Piston Cup showpiece

19 Feb 08:47 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP