Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times

Drivers warned of new SH29 Kaimai Range closure dates from December 7

SunLive
27 Nov, 2025 12:00 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
NZTA has works planned for SH29 from December 7. Photo / NZME

NZTA has works planned for SH29 from December 7. Photo / NZME

Rock-scaling work planned for State Highway 29 is being postponed because of predicted poor weather.

NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi said the works planned at the Ruahihi Bluffs near the Ruahihi Power Station would now take place from December 7.

In a statement, the roading agency said SH29 would close for five nights so the work could be done.

“The closure times will also be shorter than previously communicated, between 8pm and 3.30am each night, reopening early Friday morning, December 12.”

The work would involve abseilers working above the road to dislodge vegetation and rocks from the top and faces of the bluffs.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Depending on weather, some other overnight work on SH29 planned for next week may continue, but will operate under single-lane stop/go closures and the state highway will remain open,” the statement said.

NZTA said the works were weather-sensitive and, if rain prevented them from going ahead on any of the planned nights, additional night closures would be needed.

These would be publicised as early as possible so road users could plan ahead.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

NZTA planned to take full advantage of the closures to undertake other work at multiple sites along the highway.

This included structural asphalt rehabilitation, chipseal resurfacing, localised drainage works, road marking and surface repairs.

NZTA system manager Sandra King said SH29 was occasionally closed for essential maintenance works.

“The full closures allow us to complete the work safely and efficiently, benefiting both road worker crews and road users.”

SH29 connected New Zealand’s largest port with the wider Golden Triangle region. About 14,000 vehicles, including thousands of heavy vehicles, used the road daily, and maintaining it was essential for safety and accessibility, she said.

“We’ve worked closely with freight operators and roading contractors to co-ordinate the best possible schedule for these closures. By confirming specific days and times, road users and freight operators can plan ahead to minimise disruptions to themselves and their customers.”

Detours to avoid the closures would be significant and add considerable time to journeys.

People were encouraged to check the NZTA website’s journey planner and allow extra time or, if possible, delay travel over SH29 on these nights.

Alternative routes

  • North: SH2 via Karangahake Gorge, SH24, SH27, SH26
  • South: all vehicles: SH5, SH30, SH33, SH2 via Rotorua
  • South: light vehicles: SH5, SH36 via Rotorua

SH28 will be closed at the Harwood Rd/SH5 intersection during this time.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The closure points on the western (Waikato) side are at the SH29/24 and SH29/28 intersections, and on the eastern (BOP) side at the SH29/Cambridge Road intersection.

Emergency services would have access at all times, the roading agency said.

“Residents will also be able to access their property from the relevant side of the closure. However, within the closure, the state highway will be fully closed at Ruahihi and a number of other sites. These sites will open on the hour every hour each night to allow residents through.”

In addition to the Kaimai closures, the summer maintenance programme has begun on the Bay of Plenty side of the Kaimai Range and will run through to May.

Five worksites are scheduled for rebuilding or resurfacing to ensure the route remains safe, reliable, and fit for purpose.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Bay of Plenty Times

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era

29 Nov 02:30 AM
Bay of Plenty Times

Mount businesses join forces with new loyalty app

29 Nov 02:00 AM
Bay of Plenty Times

‘Absolute legends’: Company donations give foodbank $8000 Christmas boost

28 Nov 10:38 PM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era
Bay of Plenty Times

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era

The new 145ha Rerewhakaaitu Nursery will produce millions of seedlings a year.

29 Nov 02:30 AM
Mount businesses join forces with new loyalty app
Bay of Plenty Times

Mount businesses join forces with new loyalty app

29 Nov 02:00 AM
‘Absolute legends’: Company donations give foodbank $8000 Christmas boost
Bay of Plenty Times

‘Absolute legends’: Company donations give foodbank $8000 Christmas boost

28 Nov 10:38 PM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP