I have never written to express my feelings before but believe my thoughts on the Christchurch massacre may engender others to follow my lead.
I have often in the past received emails from contacts that have been derogatory to some ethnic groups (Muslims included) but never done anything about it.
I will in future respond with the following message to the sender:
I'm a believer in the equality of man and consider your email does not support my view. The Christchurch massacre could also reoccur affecting your religion, families, and friends. Please reconsider your actions before distributing emails that could be considered offensive and racist to others.
Let us all stand up, It may cause you to lose a few friends but ridiculing anyone's race, religion or culture is not conducive to achieving the National pride that we believe we have.
Robert A Lee
Next point of order
I am not political one iota, but Jacinda Ardern's reaction and compassion since the Christchurch terror attack has been outstanding, not to mention the swift push to re-align the (much needed) gun laws in this country.
She is definitely the Mother of the Nation.
Well done National and Simon Bridges for his full support.
However, I was dismayed to read (News, March 21) that a man was sentenced to two years' jail, for the manslaughter of a security guard, who was doing his job.
This apathetic punishment is ridiculously outdated.
Maybe this should be Jacinda's next point of order, following the tragedy in Christchurch. (Abridged)
The Bay of Plenty Times welcomes letters from readers. Please note the following:
• Letters should not exceed 200 words.
• They should be opinion based on facts or current events.
• If possible, please email.
• No noms-de-plume.
• Letters will be published with names and suburb/city.
• Please include full name, address and contact details for our records only.
• Local letter writers given preference.
• Rejected letters are not normally acknowledged.
• Letters may be edited, abridged, or rejected at the Editor's discretion.
• The Editor's decision on publication is final.