Tauranga's Mike Dawson has secured his second World Cup canoe slalom silver in what he describes a "brutal race" in the extreme slalom event in Poland.

It was the Kiwi Olympian's second runner-up placing in as many weeks overnight on Monday, after scoring silver in Slovakia's opening World Cup round, adding to the two World Cup medals and world championship bronze he picked up last year.

Dawson said the latest race was a tough one, emerging battered and bruised and nursing a cut hand after colliding with United States paddler Michal Smolen on the Krakow course in Poland. Both paddlers were beaten by Russian Nikita Gubenko.

Read more: Silver for kayaker Mike Dawson at World Cup in Slovakia
World Cup bonus for Bay of Plenty kayaker Callum Gilbert


"It was definitely a brutal race - I was leading despite a bad start and Michal, and I were battling it out through the middle stages when Nikita came through," Dawson said.

"It's nice to race two finals in a row, and I'm looking forward to Augsburg next week for the third World Cup of the season."

His New Zealand teammates again had a frustrating final day, with Callum Gilbert unable to reproduce his repechage form in the men's K1 semifinals, finishing 31sts, 20.80secs off the pace.

Luuka Jones also had a rough run in her C1 semifinal as one of five paddlers to miss a gate, finishing in 26th place and won by Australia's Jess Fox.

This followed a controversial video call after missing the final of the women's K1 at the World Cup canoe slalom event in Poland overnight on Sunday.

Luuka Jones in action in the women's K1 during the second World Cup of the season in Poland. Photo/Mike Dawson.
Luuka Jones in action in the women's K1 during the second World Cup of the season in Poland. Photo/Mike Dawson.

Jones, who qualified sixth for the semifinals, appeared to have cruised through to the top-10 final in eighth spot after a 95.08sec run, only to have a 50-second penalty added for missing a gate.

"I got to the bottom and saw I was in the final - then the video judge reviewed and added a 50 on," a gutted Jones said.

"I was surprised as didn't even consider gate 12 - I had a really scrappy run but thought it was fast enough for the final."


The penalty left her 27th, 54.78secs behind Austrian Corinna Kuhnle's fastest qualifying time.

Kuhnle had her own troubles in the final, as did Germany's Ricarda Funk, who picked up two 2 second penalties to let Australia's Jess Fox storm to yet another World Cup win.

- Supplied content