A 10-year-old boy who was taken to Tauranga Hospital on Sunday afternoon after swallowing a battery was discharged the same day.

The Trustpower TECT Rescue Helicopter was sent to Waihau Bay, in the Eastern Bay of Plenty, at 5pm to transport the boy to hospital.

It is understood the boy had been playing around with batteries and accidentally swallowed one.

Due to the corrosive nature of the battery and the likely injuries, the rescue helicopter was tasked to pick up the boy from Waihau Bay Fire Station and transport him to Tauranga Hospital for assessment and treatment.

Advertisement