One person suffered smoke inhalation after a small fire broke out at a Bethlehem retirement village.

Fire appliances from Tauranga and Greerton were called to Bethlehem Shores retirement village on Bethlehem Rd just after 9am.

A Northern Fire Communications spokeswoman said the fire had been put out when firefighters arrived but one person was being treated for smoke inhalation.

A reporter at the scene said a passerby had managed to put out the fire after it appeared a computer had started smoking inside the retirement village.

Advertisement