Schoolgirl, 12, dies after being overcome with deodorant fumes

Paige Daughtry, had reportedly been so keen on ensuring her personal hygiene that she used the under-arm body spray as if "it was going out of fashion". Photo / Facebook
Paige Daughtry, had reportedly been so keen on ensuring her personal hygiene that she used the under-arm body spray as if "it was going out of fashion". Photo / Facebook

A 12-year-old girl died after being overcome by fumes from her deodorant as she sprayed it on inside her family's seaside holiday caravan, a coroner heard.

Paige Daughtry, had reportedly been so keen on ensuring her personal hygiene that she used the under-arm body spray as if "it was going out of fashion".

But it is feared she overused the deodorant so much that the fumes from the aerosol, which contained "volatile substances", affected Paige as she inhaled them while listening to music.

Yesterday, a coroner described the death as an "unintentional consequences of a deliberate act".

Paige was found by her mother on a bed in a caravan that they were renting at a holiday park in Fleetwood, near Blackpool, Lancashire, the court heard.

She was rushed to hospital where she died two hours later despite attempts to revive her.

Police investigating the tragedy on July 18 last year found Paige's can of deodorant lying on grass outside the en suite bathroom, close to where she was found.

Doctors said she had inhaled butane and isobutane from the tin but found no evidence of "chronic use".

Paige, a "bright and talented" girl who attended Royton and Crompton School in Oldham, Greater Manchester, had hopes for a career in music or art.

She was staying at the Cala Gran holiday park at the start of the summer holidays with her parents Ann and Stuart and older sister Catherine.

Daughtry, 36, told the Heywood hearing: "She would spend hours in the bedroom and would spray and spray as she didn't want to smell. She used to spray it in small rooms and I used to tell her off.

"I suppose that's something every 12-year-old girl would do, spraying deodorant. But she was overusing deodorant - it was more than we would have expected any girl to put on.

"But there was never a point when we started to think there was an issue - not in the way we would have thought she was doing any sniffing or anything like that. There were no indications whatsoever - I would have noticed.

"She was a strong character. My feeling is she was the way she was and there was no changing her. No matter what we did, she marched to her own beat; that was Paige."

She added: "Paige was looking forward to the holiday - we went every year. We did some swimming and went into Blackpool and came back. We were as a family together all day, she did have a bit of a strop that day - but that was her being a teenager.

"Paige went into our bedroom and my husband went off to take some photographs on the beach. From Paige going in her room and me shouting her, it was about 10 or 15 minutes. That room was a bit cooler and the window was open.

"I think that's why she decided to go in there and all the chargers were in there and she wanted to listen to music.

"I shouted, there was no response, I went in and sought assistance. I was screaming at the top of my lungs, trying to pull her off her the bed."

Two holidaymakers, from neighbouring caravans, came to assist with CPR before paramedics arrived and took Paige to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

Forensic pathologist Dr Jonathan Metcalfe said Paige's death had been caused by the "inhalation of volatile substances".

He added: "Analysis of brain samples revealed two substances present in aerosols - they are known as volatile substances. They are known to be present in deodorant which was present at the scene.

"Their presence is consistent with inhalation. Death may result from the toxicological effects. The substances are butane and isobutane.

"There was no natural disease that has contributed to her death. There was no evidence of heavy use and no direct evidence that there was chronic use."

Paige had hopes for a career in music or art. Photo / Facebook
Paige had hopes for a career in music or art. Photo / Facebook

Lancashire police Detective Chief Inspector Jason Richardson said: "A can of deodorant was found on grass outside the caravan, outside the open window of the en suite toilet attached to the bedroom Paige had been found - as if dropped out of the window.

"It was found to be empty and was seized as evidence. Ann reported that she noticed Paige using a lot of deodorant."

A coroner's officer said: "It was established Paige had previously used deodorant - a direct quote from Mrs Daughtry herself being 'like they were going out of fashion'. An empty canister was found outside the caravan window."

Recording a verdict of death by misadventure, coroner Alan Wilson said: "This is the unintentional consequences of a deliberate act. Paige was inhaling the fumes from the deodorant but what she didn't intent is the consequences.

"It's most likely that inhaling those fumes has most probably led to her heart rhythm being affected and led to her death.

"It may have been in recent times she got into the habit of inhaling some fumes. I do find she was probably inhaling deodorant fumes for whatever reason during that day. Mr and Mrs Daughtry can I pass on the condolences of everyone here. "

In a statement at the time of Paige's death, her grandfather, John Delaney, described her as a "beautiful" and "happy-go-lucky" child.

He said: "We can't describe how we felt, our hearts have been broken, there is nothing more I can say, except a part of us has been ripped away from us.

"Paige, our sweet baby girl, we will never forget you as long as we live and, every day we think of you, you will be alive in our hearts, night and God bless sweet, you will be up there teaching everyone to sing, so till we meet again, sleep tight."

A family statement said: "Paige was a bright and talented girl who still had her whole life ahead of her, she dreamed one day to do something with her singing or art.

"Paige is sadly missed by friends and family. We are all still in shock and grieving for a loving, loyal friend, daughter, sister and granddaughter."


Where to get help:

Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
Youthline: 0800 376 633
Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
Samaritans 0800 726 666
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.

- Daily Telegraph UK

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 28 May 2017 16:07:42 Processing Time: 340ms