Australian boy killed in choking 'game'

The Brisbane boy was a keen cricket and AFL player. Photo / via Facebook
The Brisbane boy was a keen cricket and AFL player. Photo / via Facebook

The death of a 13-year-old Brisbane boy in a choking "game" has sparked warnings for parents to educate their children about the dangers of the online craze.

The principal of the boy's north Brisbane Catholic school, which has not been named at his parents' request, broke news of the boy's death in an email on Monday that urged parents to monitor their children's online behaviour.

The online craze is known as "the good boys' game" because it does not involve drugs or alcohol.

Youngsters film themselves choking and post the videos, not realising they can kill themselves or cause lasting damage.

Federation of Parents and Friends Association of Catholic Schools in Queensland executive director Carmel Nash said parents needed to be aware of the online craze

"They are kids, they are not aware of the dangers and the consequences, and it really is the parents' job to talk to kids about it and for schools to make sure they are making parents aware," she told the Courier Mail.

The boy was a keen cricket and AFL player and his clubs have paid tribute to him in a Facebook post.

"(He) was a talented left-arm bowler, sharp fielder and hard-hitting batsman. A team player who embraced the true spirit of friendship and cricket," one club wrote.

In June last year a 12-year-old boy in the UK died after playing the game.

Karnel Haughton was taking part in the game in his bedroom in Birmingham, England when he passed out.

He was found by mum Gemma and taken to hospital but medics were unable to save him.
It is not clear whether he was playing alone or with others.

A family friend named Bee Bee posted a note on Facebook following Karnel's death.

Bee wrote: "At first we did not know exactly what happened but some of Karnel's friends have come forward and told the police and family about craze that has become popular among youngsters on the internet and social media called the choking game.

"Before the tragedy took place Karnel had been telling his friends about a new game he had heard of called the choking game.

"This game has been around several years but seems to have become worryingly popular again.

"It is so, so, so important that you talk to your children and make sure they know that one of many consequences of playing this game is sadly death."

- news.com.au

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 31 Mar 2017 12:02:49 Processing Time: 652ms