Kiwis march to call for safe return of Nigerian schoolgirls

People march up Queen Street to call for the safe return of hundreds of schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in Nigeria last month. Photo / Dean Purcell
People march up Queen Street to call for the safe return of hundreds of schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in Nigeria last month. Photo / Dean Purcell

About 60 people marched up Auckland's Queen St today to call for the safe return of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted in Nigeria last month.

The march was organised by University of Auckland student Lydia Hollister-Jones, who said marchers created a lot of noise and drew support from members of the African community in Auckland.

"Everyone was really passionate and excited to be able to take part," she said.

"As Kiwis, we are lucky to live in a country where education is celebrated, and where education for women is a right, not merely a privilege, so we need to show, not only those girls, but the world's leaders that this is an issue the people of Auckland care about."

The march at midday finished in Aotea Square, where talks were given by Amnesty International and a member of the Nigerian community in Auckland.

The schoolgirls were abducted by Boko Haram on April 15, and a video was released on May 15 that showed some of them wearing hijab, and claimed they had converted to Islam.

Boko Haram has demanded that the girls be swapped in exchange for members of its group currently held in jail.

Read more:
Boko Haram armed with sophisticated weaponry, French president says
Girl tells of life after capture by Boko Haram
Boko Haram sent me into battle, says ex-hostage

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf01 at 23 Oct 2014 01:34:17 Processing Time: 319ms