When in LA, join the beautiful people and head to one of the many rooftop bars for a cheeky cocktail or two. Here are five that should be on your to-do list.
1. High at Hotel Erwin, Venice Beach - Eclectic Venice beach is where you'll find this rooftop bar appropriately named High after the medicinal marijuana for sale from "doctors rooms" among the souvenir shops lining the beachfront below. But High is very chic, located on the sixth floor of the Erwin Hotel and dotted with lounge chairs and flaming heaters offering uninterrupted sunset views.
2. Suite 700 at Hotel Shangri La, Santa Monica - Perfectly situated across the road from the vast Santa Monica beach, there is a pool bar on the ground floor, but head up to the penthouse for a drink to enjoy sitting on art deco furniture made from suiting fabric and leather. Stay for the killer sunset views before deciding where for dinner.
3. Zengo, Santa Monica Place - Located on the third floor of Santa Monica Place mall, this restaurant/bar has a large veranda with views down Third Street Promenade.
Specialising in Latin/Asian small plates, order a side of salted edamame and you'll be thanking me for months as these soy beans are sizzled in a tasty coating ready for you to consume with a cold glass of something.
4. London, West Hollywood - Rooftop By Gordon Ramsay is at the five-star London Hotel. Along with the potty-mouth chef's cuisine, you'll find a swimming pool edged with cabanas and palm trees. Comfy seating on one side and outdoor dining on the other, overlooking the twinkling lights of the city. His fine dining restaurant is on the ground floor if you want to start (or finish) there. You don't need to be a house guest to visit, but it would pay to call in advance as they host regular private events.
5. Andaz, West Hollywood - Unfortunately for us plebs, the Andaz Sundeck is only open to house guests. But if you do check in here for a night or two, ring everyone you know to join you for a cocktail on the rooftop. This Sunset Boulevard hotel was formerly the Riot House of 1970s rock band fame and pictures adorn the walls of the Rolling Stones, The Who et al. Reserve a cabana to tan like a Californian overlooking the bustle of the city below.