The Mid Canterbury Rugby Union have confirmed they took stood a player down following an alleged incident in Gisborne this month.
A police spokeswoman told the Herald yesterday a player in his 20s was arrested on October 2 and charged with assault with intent to commit rape. He is due to appear before the Gisborne District Court on October 31.
It is understood the alleged incident occurred the day after Mid Canterbury played East Coast in Ruatoria.
The Mid Canterbury Rugby Union released a statement today confirming a player was stood down from the team.
"As soon as we became aware of the charge, MCRFU took advice and immediately put in place all responsible steps to manage the situation including standing the player down from our playing environment and ensuring he had appropriate support in place given the various interests that have to be taken into account in a situation like this.
"Nothing further can be said in light of the court order suppressing all details."
Yesterday NZR chief executive Steve Tew said the organisation was aware of an allegation involving a player from Mid Canterbury, and
"A court suppression order is in place and we are not able to comment further at this stage.
"However, New Zealand Rugby will continue to monitor this situation closely."
The allegations come after what has been a tumultuous time for rugby off the field.
NZR last month came under criticism for its handling of the Chiefs' stripper saga, after an investigation into the matter uncovered no evidence to support claims made by a woman who performed for the team at an end-of-season function.
The sport once more found itself in the spotlight following the Losi Filipo assault case, with the Wellington junior discharged without conviction after injuring two men and two women.
And All Blacks halfback Aaron Smith was last week banned for one match following a tryst with a woman in a disabled bathroom at Christchurch Airport. The player is still to face a disciplinary process.