Blues centre Rene Ranger is facing a misconduct investigation after being convicted of drink driving today.

The former All Black appeared today at the Waitakere District Court and pleaded guilty to charges of careless driving and drink driving following an incident this month. He was convicted, and disqualified from driving for seven months, fined $800 and ordered to pay court costs.

New Zealand Rugby said tonight they have initiated misconduct proceedings against Ranger.

Blues Rugby chief executive Michael Redman said it was disappointing Ranger had found himself in this position.


"We are disappointed in the poor choice that Rene made, especially for a player of his experience. We have clear policies and guidelines that our players agree to that include the behaviour that we expect from them and they can expect of each other.

"Rene has accepted responsibility for his actions and we will work through an internal process with New Zealand Rugby now the outcome of the legal process is known."

New Zealand Rugby general manager rugby Neil Sorensen said they would be working with the Blues to complete the misconduct process as quickly as possible.

"We know that Rene has taken responsibility. He has apologised to his employer and to those directly affected by his actions, and we commend him for that.

"Rene is also an experienced campaigner and is well aware of the high standards that we set for all contracted professional players.

Regardless of the outcome of the misconduct proceedings, we will work with the New Zealand Rugby Players Association to look at the best next steps in order to ensure Rene has access to the help he needs."

Ranger's 2016 season ended in April after he ruptured an ACL ligament in his left knee.
It was the 29-year-old's first season back from France and the injury ruled out any hope of a quick return to the All Blacks, whom he last played for against France in 2013.

Instead, he was facing six months of rehabilitation, and the setback followed neck surgery last year which ruled him out of North Harbour's ITM Cup season after he arrived from Montpellier.