Boxing: SBW bout against Tillman confirmed

Sonny Bill Williams warms up at Boxing Alley. Photo / Brett Phibbs
Sonny Bill Williams warms up at Boxing Alley. Photo / Brett Phibbs

All Black star Sonny Bill Williams has revealed the replacement for an opponent whose arrest forced him out of a much-anticipated bout next month.

Plans to pit Williams against Richard Tutaki in Hamilton on February 8 were scuppered when Tutaki was arrested on charges including possession of methamphetamine.

Williams camp today announced Clarence Tillman III would be the replacement opponent for the bout.

Tillman, 34, is a 136kg, 1.96cm fighter with a 21-fight, 11-wins, eight-losses and two draws record.

The late-notice change of opponent would make the fight a "huge challenge", Williams said.

"Tillman is a quality fighter, so I will have to put in the extra yards over the next three and a half weeks and change my fight plan accordingly."

Williams earlier described Tutaki pulling out as one of the biggest setbacks of his boxing career.

His manager Koder Nasser said Tillman had previously beaten Tutaki in the ring and would prove a tough opponent.

"It is great that the Tillman camp have agreed to take the fight. It is definitely going to be a great spectacle and a big night for Sonny Bill."

- HERALD ONLINE

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf02 at 26 Oct 2014 18:38:31 Processing Time: 254ms