NRL: Second team's impact on Brisbane vital

A second team in Brisbane could impact on the Broncos franchise. Photo / Getty Images
A second team in Brisbane could impact on the Broncos franchise. Photo / Getty Images

NRL boss David Gallop concedes the impact a second Brisbane team would have on the high-profile Broncos would be a major consideration in any expansion decision it made.

New Broncos chief executive Paul White said on Thursday it would be "business as usual" at the club despite revelations one of the club's most powerful supporters was part of a three-man bid team looking to win approval for a second Brisbane licence in 2013.

While Gallop did not discount the new player in the expansion game, he said such a decision would have to be "very carefully considered".

Brisbane, who have won six premierships, rate well on television, lead the NRL in crowd support, sponsorship and have also been ranked by market analysts Repucom as the number one sporting brand in the country.

"The impact on the Broncos would be something that would have to be carefully considered," Gallop told AAP.

"They set the benchmark on and off the field in many areas and we would want to do it in a way that was a positive for the competition, including the Broncos."

Details of the bid were reported on Thursday when it was revealed Craig Davidson, the chairman of the Thoroughbreds - a collection of wealthy and successful businessmen who support the Broncos - had started due diligence proceedings into the formation of a team to go up against them.

It is believed members of the Thoroughbreds, who between them hold more than 25 per cent share interest in the Broncos, had a major falling out at the club's annual general meeting.

As a result, Davidson and Bill Rae, who owns the Queensland-based Pure Blue Meats, have put together a bid team.

There was speculation on Thursday that multi-millionaire entrepreneur John Singleton could be approached to join the consortium.

Former Broncos foundation coach Wayne Bennett, who had close ties with the Thoroughbreds through the late mining magnate Ken Talbot, has reportedly already been earmarked as a possible coach of the side if it's approved by the NRL, which is planning expansion in 2013.

"We've said for some time now that we would expect to have a look at expansion around the middle of 2011," said Gallop, who expects to meet with the Brisbane consortium in the next week.

"But clearly no decision's been made.

"I've been contacted by Bill Rae who';s one of this new group and I've indicated I'm happy to meet with them.

"(We've) clearly been talking to the Ipswich-based bid as well.

"We all know the strength of the game in Queensland and the population growth projections for the area so we would take the bid seriously but expansion is not on our immediate agenda and the impact on the existing clubs and the players in those clubs would be a big factor to consider when we do next look at expansion.

The NRL will consider bid proposals from central Queensland, Ipswich, the Central Coast and Perth.

White, a former representative player and ex-policeman who replaced former chief executive Bruno Cullen last month, said the report didn';t change too much at the Broncos.

"We'll never be complacent because of everything that has been done to make this club as successful as it is today," he said.

"Everyone in this organisation is well aware of the need for us to continually improve on our benchmark performance.

"Regardless what is happening externally with bids, we will continue to strive for excellence in our own performance."

White said the latest developments did not place added pressure on coach Ivan Henjak or skipper Darren Lockyer to win another premiership.

- AAP

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 27 Dec 2014 23:14:34 Processing Time: 449ms