With the countdown on for this year's Crankworx, locals can expect bundles of action and free events.
The opening ceremony will take place on Friday, .
Crankworx event director Ariki Tibble said events on days one to four were in public places so anyone could watch them, and days five and six would be free for locals this year.
Tibble said they had tried to make Crankworx Rotorua more accessible to locals, and had done that by increasing the local days, running events in public locations, and lowering ticket prices to make it accessible for families.
He said the 100 Per Cent Dual Slalom Rotorua event on Tuesday March 20 would be a stunning event for locals to check out.
"The trail is beautiful and heaps of locals have had the chance to ride it already."
He said there were about 40 people riding the track yesterday morning.
"So I think that's going to be quite special, because the local residents will be out there and see the pros riding on the same trails many of them have been riding on for the last few weeks."
Tibble said the new Pump Track at Skyline would also be an epic event.
He said this was the first time it had been planned so that locals were able to attend for free, and they had increased the capacity for spectators.
Tibble said the secondary school events were an opportunity to see some of the best up and coming riders from around the country.
There would be 430 competitors from more than 100 schools, he said.
"School events always bring an exciting and electric atmosphere."
However, every other event were also worth a look, he said.
On Saturday, March 24 locals can see the Deep Summer Photo Competition, where four elite photographers present a slideshow at Eat Streat showcasing the mountain biking culture.
There are also events for evening fun and entertainment being held at Sobar, Pig and Whistle and Lava Bar.
Tibble said with the opening ceremony now less than a week away he was looking forward to opening up the gates and cutting the ribbon so people could experience it all.
"I encourage locals to come and enjoy the event. It's pretty unique and special to have a world-class event right on your doorstep, as accessible as we've tried to make this for our local community.
"Come out and enjoy it. Have some fun and catch the bug."
Crankworx Evening Fun:
- Saturday March 17: Sobar, Music with Matt, Crankworx drink specials for the whole week of Crankworx.
- Wednesday March 21: Sobar, DJ Ayesha, 9pm to 1am. Pig and Whistle, Happy Hour, 7pm to 8pm, 25 per cent off drinks.
- Thursday March 22: Pig and Whistle, Happy Hour 9.30pm to 10.30pm and Pump It Up Party 9pm to late. Sobar, Tunes with T, 6pm to 9pm and DJ Ayesha 9pm to 1am.
- Friday March 23: Lava Bar, Crank It Up Party, 10pm until late with DJ Sanka. Sobar, KGB, 6pm to 9pm and DJ Nero, 9pm to 1am. Pig and Whistle, Happy Hour, 9.30pm to 10.30pm.
- Saturday March 24: Sobar, DJ Nero and guest, 8pm to 1am.
- Sunday March 25: Sobar, DJ Nero and guest, 8pm to 1am.