Large shed fire in Hastings

By -
Shed fire off Collinge Road Mayfair, Hastings. 12th February 2017 Hawke's Bay Today Photograph by Paul Taylor.
Shed fire off Collinge Road Mayfair, Hastings. 12th February 2017 Hawke's Bay Today Photograph by Paul Taylor.

A large shed fire in the Hastings suburb of Mayfair moved to a fourth alarm this afternoon.

A Fire spokesman said more breathing apparatus crews were needed to completely put out the fire with wind creating complications.

Assistant area commander Nigel Hall said four derelict sheds at the back of a residential property on Jellicoe St were well-involved when crews arrived at about 2:30pm.

"The sheds which were about 30 by 100 square metres were very close together and the front shed, which had cane furniture in it, collapsed."

Sarah Frear and Aaron Mcilroy were driving down Jellicoe St when they noticed flames and smoke pouring out of the old sheds.

Mr Mcilroy dialled 111 while he and his partner ran towards the burning building.

"We checked to see if anyone was inside and no one was in there or in the house at the front of the property.

Within five minutes all four sheds were engulfed."

He said the fire brigade turned up just moments after they called and launched in to action.

"We were there for about an hour and once we left the fire was under control," Mr Mcilroy said.

One of the sheds had drums filled with an unknown substance, which have since been removed via an aerial appliance using a platform ladder.

Five appliances were called to the fire and the fire status was initially moved to a third alarm due to being a chemical incident before going to a fourth alarm.

To contain the blaze initially Mr Hall said fire fighters used three low pressure deliveries before going to the platform ladder.

"More people were now being put inside the building to completely extinguish the blaze," the fire spokesman said.

There were concerns about a power line which ran through the area of the fire but that was isolated with no further problems.

Mr Hall said there was no threat to properties with a creek running down the right side of the area.

"We are lucky the fire didn't spread in this exceptionally dry and hot weather."

Due to the extreme heat one firefighter battling the blaze was taken to Hawke's Bay Hospital for heat exhaustion.

Mr Hall said crews worked hard and have done well considering the conditions and wanted to remind people there is a total fire ban in place.

"We have had a high number of calls this weekend so we want the public to be extra careful and not light any fires, this includes wood barbecues."

Road access has been closed for the Jellicoe St fire.

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 23 May 2017 22:11:46 Processing Time: 573ms